Search form

Are animation tests... bad?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are animation tests... bad?

Just read a few war stories from animation vets concerning this business of "animation tests" as part of the hiring process. I'm not sure what to think, though... I'd like to get your thoughts, especially since I'm looking for a job right now.

The process goes something like this: a job applicant sends a resume, demo reel, and portfolio to a promising company. The company likes what they see, so they ask the applicant to pass an animation test: to model a certain object or action in a given number of days. It's a kind of... test drive of the animator. If the company likes the results, the animator is hired and everybody's happy.

Unfortunately, it seems some unscrupulous companies give animation tests just to get free artwork to steal. They never intend to hire anyone, all they want is work for free.

On the other hand, legitimate companies need to screen out all of the unscrupulous cheaters who send in someone else's animation and take credit for other people's work. They need to see if you can do what you claim you can do.

I just sent out 25 job applications all at once... am I going to spend the next few weeks working like a maniac, trying to meet all the animation test deadlines? Good heavens, what have I done?!?

Gil Ruiz
hometown.aol.com/gilruiz1/animator.htm

A company needs to cover their butts and make sure you are as talented as you appear to be on a reel because of the time and money it takes to hire someone and get them up to speed in the production pipeline.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, most companies are on the up and up and hopefully you did your homework before sending applications so you aren't sending them to any unsavory sorts.

Best of luck and if you do get 25 responses from 25 applications you are one lucky man.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

Tests are a necessity, especially with people new to the industry. I mean, if you have a minimum of 10 years of experience listed in your resume, with a number of known titles and different in style, more often than not, the studio will not ask for a test. However, a new artist starting out, who is virtually unknown in the animation community will need to be tested to see if they can do the job, and within the deadline.

I know that ripping off artists with these tests has become pretty popular, but there are ways around it. It may sound cheesy, but it sounds like you are doing 3D tests... Put a watermark over the top of your work with your name and telephone number. Then we will see them use that, eh? Render at 320x240 resolution, and send the quicktime file. That should be all they need, right (and they cannot use it in production whatsoever)? No need to send the Maya file, or 3D max file, or whatever to them, so that the majority of the work is done, and all they have to do is tweak the animation a bit and render it, and voila! A free scene animated!

Anyways... good luck on the tests (if you get any)... Unfortunately, the business has become such that you will send 25 resumes out, and nobody can even be bothered enough to write you an e-mail saying "thank-you for your test. We received it today. We will contact you soon if it is sufficient". This really annoys me, as we as people, looking for work have taken the time necessary to write these people a letter, send a resume, a copy of our demo and portfolio, and even done a test for them, and they cannot respond to it in any way, shape or form. Admittedly, I have not done a test in quite some time, but I suspect that these people take as much care in getting back to you when you do a test as they do when you send a resume.

Sorry to sound so negative... It just really irks me.

Cheers, and again, good luck.

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon