Search form

Is there anyone here I can interview for a homework assignment?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there anyone here I can interview for a homework assignment?

Okay, so I have this career project I have to do and it requires that I interview someone in the career field that I want to be. I was directed to this site from another board. So anyways, are there any animators or is there anyone here that knows an animator that is willing to let me interview(basically just ask questions in this questionaire) them? It would be greatly apreciated if anyone replies. Thanks in advance.

I can help you out, if you want, Jew.

wkonowalchuk@infernalcreations.com

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Thanks Wade for replying. Check your email, I sent you the questionaire.

Anyone else willing to help me? :D I need at least two interviews.

Happy to help

The Brothers McLeod
[SIZE=2]brothersmcleod.co.uk[/SIZE]

hey.. everybody here would loveto help!
P.

pascal_campion@yahoo.com

Okay everyone, I've decided to just post the questions on here.

Knowledge required:
Skills required to perform job:
Duties and responsibilities:
Working conditions:
Salary range:
Oppurtunities for advancement:
Related occupations:

Name:
How long in this occupation?
How did you choose your occupation?
Financially, does it let you live the way you prefer?
If not, why not and what can you do about it?
What rewards have you experienced?
What sacrifices have you had to make for your career?
What kind of commitment does this career require in terms of:
Education:
Energy/endurance:
Stick-to-itiveness:
If you had it to do over again, would you choose this career?
Why or why not?

What is your typical day like?
Of all the things you did to prepare for this job, what helped you the most?
What two or three skills help you the most in doing your job?
How did you learn these skills?
What kind of education did you need for this job?
What kind of courses should I take in high school to prepare me for this job?
What kind of education will I need after high school?
What do you like the most about this career?
What's the hardest part of your job?
What do you think the future looks like for this kind of career?
What kind of salary can I expect?
If you had a chance to do things over again, what would you change?
What motivates you with your job?
What makes you feel real excited about it?
What kind of personality does well in a career like this?
Is there a question you think I should have asked to better understand your career?

Thanks to anyone who volunteers themselves to this. I greatly appreciate.

I'm in your boat too I.O.I.W.A.J. I'm not employed yet. If people are willing to actually post that info about themselves on here, I'd be interested in seeing the results of your assignment.

I hope someone responds... project due Thursday. :( :o

Volunteers but no replies? :confused:

Eek, I don't want to be pushy but my project is due within 24 hours and I haven't any replies to my questions...

I wish I could help you! Come on guys, can you help IWIWAJ out?

Thanks keen for the support. I guess the guys who originally said they'd help forgot or something? :o

Since I started this thread I haven't even recieved one reply back? :confused:

I'll give it a go

I'll give it a go if it's not too late.

Knowledge required: A lot
Skills required to perform job: Knowledge of anatomy, movement and timing for everything
Duties and responsibilities: Responsible for animating everything in assigned shots
Working conditions: Awsome. Free soda and candy :D
Salary range: anywhere from around $900 to $1500 USD
Oppurtunities for advancement: Yes
Related occupations: Lead animator, animation director, character designs, storyboarding, layout

Name: Erik Girndt
How long in this occupation? 6 years
How did you choose your occupation? I love animation and drawing
Financially, does it let you live the way you prefer? I don't drive a Porsche, but yes it does.

If not, why not and what can you do about it? ---

What rewards have you experienced? I've learned a ton about every aspect of animation, and have gotten to meet a lot of artists I look up to and admire.

What sacrifices have you had to make for your career? Lived away from my wife for an entire year while working. Spent a lot of money on schooling.

What kind of commitment does this career require in terms of: A big one.

This is a life time commitment. Animation isn't a career, it's a life. You live it everyday. You tend to look at the world differently when you are an animator. I tend to see how people move while they do everyday things. I analize the way I move, to see what moves first. Where my weight is distributed. That sort of thing.

Education: 3 years at a Junior College, 4 years at the Academy of Art College with a BFA in Illustration/Animation

Energy/endurance: Thats what the free coffee is for

Stick-to-itiveness: See above comment about "commitment"

If you had it to do over again, would you choose this career? Hell yeah!!

Why or why not? Because I love doing what I do. There is nothing that can compare to seeing a bunch of lines and shapes that you have moved around for hours, days, weeks, even months come to life befor your very eyes. It's something you've created. Even the most simplest shot, I'm still proud of.

What is your typical day like? Get to work at 9 am. grab some coffee with some of the guys and gals. Review what I need to do befor lunch, and get to work. Work till lunch time around noonish. Review what I've done in the morning, and see what I need to finish befor the end of the day. Work till the end of the day, around sixish. Usually take a break in the after noon as well.

Of all the things you did to prepare for this job, what helped you the most? Haveing a true appreciation for the art.

What two or three skills help you the most in doing your job? Being methotical, and haveing an attention to detail.

How did you learn these skills? I've been this way ever since I can remember.

What kind of education did you need for this job? None in the tradtional sense. You really just need a love of the art. You need to love to draw. To observe life around you. You can be completely self taught.

What kind of courses should I take in high school to prepare me for this job? If your school has good art classes take them. If not, just take all that classes that will get you scholarships and grants for college, because it's expencive, then just draw all the time.

What kind of education will I need after high school? Art school is good. Choose a school that has really good life drawing and traditional animation departments.

What do you like the most about this career? I get to create something new everyday that didn't exist the day befor.

What's the hardest part of your job? Learning when to let go of a shot. You have to know when a shot is done enough, otherwise you can spen hours on an eyeblink.

What do you think the future looks like for this kind of career? I really don't know, but I gotta wear shades

What kind of salary can I expect? I can't say. The animation industry goes in waves. Some times it's up. Sometimes it's down. You could enter the field when it's up and studios can't find enough people to fill their seats and are throwing money at you, like the 90's. Or you might come in when it's down, and veteran animators of 10, 15, 20 even 30 years are laid off working at Kinkos.

If you had a chance to do things over again, what would you change? I would have applied to art school right out of highschool instead of going to junior college for 3 years.

What motivates you with your job? Seeing characters I've animated act, and think, and have emotion, and then figure out how I could have made it better.

What makes you feel real excited about it? Like above, making things come to life and then trying to make it better the next time. It's a vicious cycle. :D

What kind of personality does well in a career like this? All kinds, both extroverts and introverts seem to do well in animation.

Is there a question you think I should have asked to better understand your career? Can't think of one at the moment, but I would have asked the "what position" question first.

Good luck,
The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Hi there, Jew. I too did my questionaire on the forum thread, as it just seemed easier for me that way. So without further adieu:

Knowledge required: Animation course in college or University (2-4 years), and years of hands on experience

Skills required to perform job: Knowledge of anatomy, movement and timing, cinematography, not to mention a lot of patience and a passion for the art and a great deal of diplomacy

Duties and responsibilities: Responsible maintaining the artistic look of a given series/film, and ensuring its quality within a given budget

Working conditions: Long hours, a lot of widespread confusion at times, but a rewarding feeling to see the finished work

Salary range: $2000/week USD (plus or minus)

Oppurtunities for advancement: Yes, but not many. Can make the jump up to producer (creative producer) or executive level.

Related occupations: Creative Producer, Artistic Director, Creative Director, studio director

Name: Wade Konowalchuk

How long in this occupation? 13 years

How did you choose your occupation? Drawing funny pictures was the only thing I REALLY excelled at and had a passion for.

Financially, does it let you live the way you prefer? Yes, but downtime between projects can sometimes strain your financial situation.

If not, why not and what can you do about it? ---

What rewards have you experienced? I see my vision brought from script to screen, and that satisfies me. The nominations for awards help too (although I have not won yet, I have had two nominations). Not to mention royalties from European broadcasts ;)

What sacrifices have you had to make for your career? Sometimes, you have to give in to lesser quality going through the pipeline due to budget/time constraints. Also, in the beginning, I needed to live a nomadic existence, and travel to where the work was (bringing me to such places such as India or Chile).

What kind of commitment does this career require in terms of:

Education: I spent only 2 years in school, studying Animation for Television. It was an INTENSIVE 2 years.

Energy/endurance: You need to be able to work the long hours, and dedicate yourself to making the best work you possibly can, allowed by the studio.

Stick-to-itiveness: This can sometimes be tough, especially when the producer tells you that you are asking to much, and to accept lesser quality. It is hard ot tell him to piss off sometimes. Also, sometimes you get offers in the middle of a project to do something far better somewhere else, but you need to see the current project through to the finish. The hardest thing to do in this busienss is to turn down a great contract.

If you had it to do over again, would you choose this career? Absolutely

Why or why not? Animation is my life, and I know I do my job VERY well and am capable of a lot. Also, animation gives you the opportunity to be doing different things day to day (style-wise). One month you will be doing something like Beavis and Butthead ( :( ), and the next month, something Disney-esque. Variety is the great part. Would rather be doing this than punching buttons on a calculator (accountant).

What is your typical day like? Get to work at 9 am. Then the madness starts. Everyone has a crisis that only the director can make the call on (it seems nobody else can figure anything out on their own, or are too scared to). After 10-12 hours of the madness, I go home to the wife, usually bringing scripts to edit, or other work to do in preparation for the next day.

What two or three skills help you the most in doing your job? My attention to detail, perfection in my work, and my ability to tell a story graphically.

How did you learn these skills? Born with it. Many of the skills learned though were learned on the job, learning from my mistakes (and yes, there were many when I first started directing).

What kind of education did you need for this job? A LOT of hands on experience, doing every job in the pipeline at some point. School is great, but working is much better.

What kind of courses should I take in high school to prepare me for this job? High school? I am unaware of what kind of crazy courses they have in highschool nowadays (I have heard of some weird choices), but when I was in highschool, I needed to focus on ART class. Believe it or not, MATH doesn't hurt either.

What kind of education will I need after high school? Animation school. First, a traditional animation program, and then follow it up with computer animation.

What do you like the most about this career? I draw funny pictures, do what I LOVE to do, and people PAY ME for it!

What's the hardest part of your job? As said before, letting lesser quality work go through, knowing your name is attached as the director.

What do you think the future looks like for this kind of career? Hard to say. The industry is taking a big hit presently, but I am sure that we dinosaurs with some experience will adapt, and be able to hold out. Kids will always want animation of some sort.

What kind of salary can I expect? When you start, straight out of school as a clean-up artist, I would not expect much more than $400/week USD. With hard work and experience, your salary will steadily increase.

If you had a chance to do things over again, what would you change? Nothing except, I might study more in the 3D side of things. Back when I did my schooling, there was VERY LITTLE 3D animation, and no place to learn.

What motivates you with your job? My vision carried through from beginning to end. I love the final product.

What makes you feel real excited about it? Same as above.

What kind of personality does well in a career like this? Extroverted. You need to be able to express yourself readily. You need to be able to ACT. In all honesty, we as animators are actors, putting forth our acting ability through our drawings on paper/screen.

Is there a question you think I should have asked to better understand your career? Nope.

Hope this is sufficient for your needs.

All the best

Wade

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
did i miss your deadline??
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

OH wow!!
guys, i've sent a private message to IWIWASAJEW.. and i read yours...
wow..
it's amazing how cool your situation looks!
that's funny and prompts a question to me..
Are most places like you guys?
where you work from nineto six??
do you guys ever work on the weelends, nights???

Do you seriously have tiem for a social life??
wow..
do you have a job forme?
lol
i could use the break!
(just kidding!0

And.. hey , IWISHIWASAJEW?
actually.. yeah.. i'd do it over !
lol
P.

9-6?!?!?!?! I WISH!!! It is never 9-6... Actually, nearing the end of production, it is sometimes 9-6, but rarely. Weekends are sacred to me, and I do my best not to work on 'em, but sometimes an episode needs to be slugged, or a script edited and notes made for board artists to follow, so I tend to do that on Sunday night. I never work on Saturdays though.

As for a social life. I am married. I have no social life any more. I have the life my wife tells me to have. ;)

Cheers

I hear you wae..
i'd wish for a nine to six job too!
lol
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

P.

I'd just like to say that the reason most of us don't reply is because these type of posts crop up twice a year. At least since I've been here at AWN. Maybe there could be a sticky up on the Education Forum, so stuff doesn't have to be reentered every year.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Well, I have helped my one person doing this questionaire. I don't suspect that in 6 months when this same type of questionaire pops up again from someone else, I will take the time to re-answer all the same types of questions, but I feel I have done my good deed of the day in helping one student.

Cheers

As for a social life. I am married. I have no social life any more. I haev the life my wife tells me to have. ;)

LOL. Funny, me too :D Just kidding Mrs. Ape.

As for the 9 to 6, the studio I'm at now is part of the Animation Guild Local 839 IATSE , so we HAVE TO have no more than an 8 hour work day, unless we get paid overtime. The last studio I was at wasn't in the Union, so we were contracted to a 60 hour work week. That was fine for me since I was apart from my wife for that year.

Oh yeah, I forgot to put the ability to ACT in the "what two or three skills help you the most in doing your job?" question. Alittle psycology is also a good thing to have. As you can tell, the ability to spell in not required. :D

The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

AHAHAHAHHA
yesssssssssssssssssss
AnimatED ape..
the spelling thing..
that's a big one
lol

Hello to msses ape!!
P.

Just so you know guys: You've helped at least one other person!...Me!! I'm just starting out too and have been following this thread. Thanks!

Weird... No thank-you or anything...

Oh well...

don't worry mr wade, it was really interesting reading the responses of everyone who replied... maybe the intended recipient is at school or something right now...

I'm not too worried about it. I sent the answers by e-mail a few minutes ago, in case Jew (I have such a hard time saying that) gave up on the forum due to nobody answering. The two completed questionaire's (mine and one other) have been up on here for two days now... Would hate to have missed this person's deadline.

Cheers

:eek: Oops! Sorry guys, I had forgotten about my thread! Well guys, thanks for the replies, albeit late, I still appreciate it. Definitely a career I'm thinking about now. I say someone sticky this thread, for future references to questions about this career, ya know? Once again guys, greatly appreciate it! :)

Btw, I completed my assignment, and well, I had to turn it in late. :D I'll never work on a project so late again... sheesh, 2 hours of sleep, and I still couldn't turn it in on time. Wish me luck guys, I hope I get a good grade on this assignment.