Search form

Someone help i'm lost

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Someone help i'm lost

can anyone help me i'm 18 and ready to get out of highschool but have no idea what to do i have been interested in animation for sometime now but have done nothing abou it. I really love to draw and can spen time drawing, drawing and drawign some more. i aslo spend alot of time on my computer so i'm really good with computers. So what do you need to become an animator do you need to go to any community colleges, or just straight to a college that offers animation? also how much could a bachelors degree in animation cost? if anyone can please answer my questions i would really appreciate it very much. Thanx

Here's my two cents:

So what do you need to become an animator do you need to go to any community colleges, or just straight to a college that offers animation?

Most students start right out of high school but since you said you are about to graduate and haven't done anything to prepare yourself you might want to use this next year to prepare. If you don't have anything to create a portfolio with you might want to spend the next year going to a community college taking drawing and other art classes to create work for the portfolio. Also it can be a good time to get a few liberal art classes out of the way so you don't need to take them later down the road and have a lighter load when you are taking your animation classes.

Plus at this point you can't get into any good animation school because applications were due and long time ago and seats are filled. Prepare your portfolio and start applying at the end of next fall.

also how much could a bachelors degree in animation cost?

Well that willl vary for school to school but you don't want to go with the lowest bid when it comes to your education and your future. Do your homework and start to research schools. This site has a lot of information about different schools and so do a lot of other animation sites.

Beware the schools that are offering you the get in and get out approach and ones that don't require you to have a portfolio.

It will be expensive but that's why there are loans; plus there is nothing like a bunch of school loans that need to be paid off to get you the incentive to work as hard as you can so you can get the good job and pay them off.

good luck,

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

Hey man thanx alot, i appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. i have one more question so do you need a portfolio ready in order to begin your animation course at any college? and how much are you guessing a degree in animation cost around? oh and something else do they get paid well?

do you need a portfolio ready in order to begin your animation course at any college?

No there are colleges or tech schools that will not require a portfolio but like I said in the last post you usually need to beware of any school that isn't requiring a portfolio because they are just looking to fill seats. You want to take animation classes in an art program where the technology is a necessity and not the main focus. Courses that are teaching you software first are teaching you to be a button pusher and any place worth working at aren’t looking for button pushers.

how much are you guessing a degree in animation cost around??

That number will vary from school to school. Ringling is at 18,000 a year but it's a private art school; you can other private art schools for more and find state universities for less.

do they get paid well?

Your worth will be determined by your skills mostly and then by the company and it's location; there is no standard.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida