Search form

New Sketches

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Sketches

Okay,

I think I figured out how to post images- so here go nothing.

These are from my latest visits to cafes in town...

Larry L.'s picture
Larry web site http://tooninst[URL=http://tooninstitute.awn.com]itute.awn.com [/URL]blog: [U]http://www.awm.com/blogs/always-animated [/U] email: larry.lauria@gmail.com

Very nice Larry.

Here are some sketches I did while the forum was down. I had an urge to do zombie children after seeing dawn of the dead.

wow Larry! I truely admire your work.

And Damage, those are kind of creepy... which is a compliment since they are zombies. :)

Skull Demon

OK, this isn't a character sketch as such. It's more like an 'atmosphere sketch'. After the character was drawn, cleaned and scanned I thought it would be nice to apply a couple of very simple PhotoShop effects to the motif to give it sort of a surreal, dreamlike and mystic atmosphere; I think the blurred outlines and highlights really do the trick here. I deliberately darkened the body because I'm still working on the character's anatomy.

I really like the meeces, Mr L. - pretty Bluth. (And the zombie lass is my favourite of the two, Damage. ;))

Hey Jabber

Hey Jabber,

Talked to Andrea the other day - he said "HI!"

Wie gehts dude!

You did?

Cool! Next time you meet him, ask him whether he ever received the letter I sent him a couple of years back, won't you? (Like he'll remember ... :D)
Ah well, I sent it to Feature Animation rather than his home addy so it was probably interecepted long before it reached his lightbox. I did talk to his mother, though, who revealed to me that he was working on Hercules at that time. To this day, I like to believe I was one of the first in Germany to know. Deluded lil' me. ;)

Will you be in Cologne again later this year?

Edit: Since I hate double posts - this is fresh in today: an illustration of the poem I have to admit I'm thoroughly obsessed with. GO CARROLLIANS! :D
PS: That blurry blob in the lower left corner is my sig so no stealing!

In July

Yes Jabber-

I will be there in July until just before SIGGRAPH.

*takes off shoes and flops down on the couch*

Man, It's good to be back. Hope everyone is doing great.
Nice work Larry, Jabber, and Damage.

Here's something I did the other day...

:)

Here's another sketch I just did... I'm not sure what it is... I'm tired.

:confused:

Yes Jabber-

I will be there in July until just before SIGGRAPH.

That means the last week of July, right? Well, this time I'll be sure to come on a little visit. Who knows - in case they get the budget for that feature straight they're going to hire me on, I might be working in Cologne full-time by then.

Hey jchap03, you should try and sell the design of the kid to a greeting card company. (No, I mean it. Mother's Day beckons. ;))

A few more...

Here are a few more...

...enjoy...

all images copyright 2004 Island Animation

Rainy days are best....

Here are more - these and the ones above are from cafe "sessions" the last two days- it's just mid-day here...

Thanks.

All images still copyright 2004 Island Animation

Last Ones

Here... last two....

Thanks

Hey Larry,

I have seen a lot of the bear character you post frequently on here (Ty Bear?). I have just noticed something though. I do not mean this as a criticism or anything, but I noticed that his head is frequently straight on. I was wondering if that character is even possible to draw in an up or down shot? I am sure that if anyone can do it, you can.

I hope to see one on here! (I can just imagine what you will post. A shot of the character's ass, with his head hidden... just to be facetious)

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Thanks Wade

Hey Wade,

Your right- thought he is ever so slightly to one side. I just like that view of him more than others. I have made a maquette of Ty B. Bear. The strange aspect of his design is that the chin is hidden by his mouth...though I like it that way.

I will take some digital photos of the maquette and post them...even his butt is there!

Thanks, guy!

Wow. Nice sketches everyone.

I haven't been drawing much lately because I got sick of it. Seemed like everything I had to do was art related so I'm currently stuck in my "Don't wanna draw" phase. I have done some work though.

I did a Birthday Card for my friend's Mum:

And I've recently gotten into anime and started trying my hand at drawing the characters. This is the first one I did where I didn't copy the reference photo exactly.

I wish I felt like drawing more. Maybe when I get home. I know I'll HAVE to start drawing then anyway. Just hope I want to.

2-D animation will never die. The invention of photography did not kill painting. Why would animation be any different?
Dancing Cavy Productions
http://dancingcavy.deviantart.com

Cool Larry! I would love to see a maquette of that guy. That would certainly help in drawing the up and down shots!

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Here's one I did tonight -- even though I know I should be working on my projects for class. :rolleyes:

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"

Hey guys i haven't done one in a while.

I was watching the Rob Zombie film and boy did it suck, but i did like the clown character at the bigging.

awesome stuff, Damage!

I really enjoy your style!

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"

Good stuff guys. Here's one i did in ps. I'm still trying to get the hang of ps for drawing and painting.

I love seeing all the different styles and artwork people post.

After seeing so many changes to avatars, I thought it might be time for a change too, so I sketched this after watching Millenium Princess (Awesome Movie, I might add). Anyway, I tried to do something in a kind of anime-style; my first. Not sure if I suceeded, and I'm not entirely sure of how to simplify the shading so I would love any input. I may try to either convert to a vector drawing (a big task) or just colour it in PS.

Damage, I really love your avatar. The colour is very rich. Is it done in oil paints? I like it, even though clowns scare me.

Attachment 

Meh, now that I see it posted, the eyes look smaller than it did when it was full sized. Darn, it looks just like a regular cartoon. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Thanks for you comments ANIMATIONFREAK. My avatar is done in ps not painted in oils, but thanks for the compliment. I love clowns. :)

Great sketch by the way. I don't see anything wrong wit the eyes. They look fine to me but I would like to see more. Post more. :)

Lates

Damage,

Wow, I guess I've more to learn on PS. Good stuff. Love the lil green guy too.

Thanks for your kind comments too. I did another pic; this time with bigger eyes. I probably overdid the shading thing, but it was fun. I've also included a picture I drew from a photo of Boss Nass from Star Wars Episode 1. I really liked the way it came out so thought I'd share. I wanted to share some more cartoons characters I created, but it wasn't uploading, so I'll try again later. Probably because I'm not really sure what I'm doing when it comes to PS.

Anyway, I think I saw the same Rob Zombie movie: House of 1000 Corpses and your previous clown does kinda remind me of the guy from the store. That was one creepy, messed up movie! Saaaadly, I had sleep with the lights on that night. He,he,he...

Cheers!

Here's a quickie I did for a friend's short story...

Attachment 

Nice work guys. :)

I did this one after i watched the Van Helsing Flick (miss spelled like always)

Warewolfs have always been my favorite horror creature.

Damage,

Cool drawing! The anime Van Helsing or the one that's now out in theaters? I was thinkin of renting the Anime version; not sure if it's any good. I wasn't sure whether to see the other in theatre because of the bad reviews it got. Is it worth seeing in the Theatres?

Anyway, I just rented Ghost in the Shell and I'm looking forward to watching it a little later. Maybe I'll get inspired and add something else.

Hey ANIMATIONFREAK.

Well when i was going to see the film in theater i thought it could be only either really bad or really good. So i was really wanting to see what they did wit it. I obiously wasn't expecting a moving movie becuse my theory is that when they show you the main monster in the trailer they usually don't have much to show that they have to resort to showing the candy on the trailer.

Well i saw it and it was a really nice action flick. I loved the way they animated the warewolfs and other monsters. They didn't really mesh well with the live action. I felt that i was watching vampire hunter d but in live action. I was waiting for van helsing to look to his hand for advice. Overll all it's a fun action flick. It's not at all serious. So don't expect Shindlers list.

My friend told me that there was an animation that was done, but i haven't heard anything about it. Whatever info you could give me i would appreciate it.

Good looking stuff everyone.

Something I did tonight. Sketch colored in photoshop...

Damage,

Thanks for the info on the movie. Perhaps I'll wait for video. Yes, Rogers Video carries I think 3 or 4 episodes of Van Helsing (Anime). I'm thinking of picking up the 1st next week and I'll let you know what I think. Just watched Ghost in the Shell, pretty cool animation and interesting story; much better than the other two I picked up which I couldn't even finish watching. There's much to be said about starting out with a good story.

Anyhoo,

Jchap, cool pic. Reminds me a bit of the sloth from Ice Age. I like the way his eyes stand out, kind of glossy. I liked your other pic too. There's definately a lot of good stuff posted here.

One from today: "Soft Drinks of the World Unite"
Done in Flash.

Animationfreak, you're right. That last sketch does look like the Sloth, doesn't he?

Attachment 

Yeah, I guess it's the comical expression combined with some of the facial landmarks there that sort of remind me of him.