With the program finalized, the UTS: Sydney International Animation Festival's co-director has given you five great reasons to attend:
1. THE SPINE by Oscar-winner Chris Landreth (Canada), where the brittle, complex collection of personalities within a counseling group populate a 'family' which critiques the lop-sided gifts and sacrifices of an unusual couple. (Winner: "Best Of Fest" Melbourne International Animation Festival) This is an exclusive chance for Sydney audiences to see this film.
2. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, by Don Hertzfeldt (USA): Bill's life and family history are filled with bad luck, illness and tragedy. And humour! The latest animated wonder from the frenetic pen of one of the animation world's stars. (Winner: "Audience Award -- Best In Program" Melbourne International Animation Festival)
3. LIFE WITHOUT GABRIEL FERRI by Estonian master Priit Parn: experience a dramatic story about love, locked doors, a faceless thief, a wounded stork, a lost laptop and the O'Key sisters who turn out to be virtual prostitutes. The pinpoint of light in the distance may just prove to be that of an approaching happy ending. (Exclusive to UTS: SIAF 09)
4. CHAINSAW, by Dennis Tupicoff (Australia). Frank and Ava Gardener "star" in a chainsaw safety film, and love the rodeo. But now, ten years later... Romance is like a chainsaw: a very dangerous beast indeed. (Grand Prix-Oberhausen International Short Film Festival 2008; Grand Prix and Critics Prize-Huesca International Film Festival 2008; Nelvana Grand Prize and Best Narrative Short -- Ottawa International Animation festival; Finalist AFI and Dendy Awards)
5. Hear visiting guest Claire Kitson, former Commissioning Editor of Animation for the UK's Channel 4, as she presents some British gems and signs her latest book, BRITISH ANIMATION: THE CHANNEL 4 FACTOR.
If that's not enough, visit www.siaf.uts.edu.au to see the full program.