Observations on art, animation, virtual reality and actual reality.
The beginning of any year is often a time for housekeeping and reflection. I have relatively few material possessions, so my “housekeeping” is primarily of the digital variety, with reflection often prompted by the content I come across while sorting.
On that note, I’d like to share a couple of moments in time recorded on video, one in 2018 and the other in 2019, in which I expounded on a range of topics - art, animation, virtual reality and actual reality - all within the context of thinking laterally.
2018 Cleveland Institute of Art Commencement Address
In 2018, I returned to my alma mater, the Cleveland Institute of Art, as a commencement speaker and addressed the graduates on the topic of THINKING LATERALLY - sharing stories from my eclectic cross-cultural career in the arts & entertainment on the subjects of developing your talent stack, taking calculated risks and creativity as currency.
2019 Kuandu International Animation Festival Interview
In a two-part interview as a juror at the 2019 Kuandu International Animation Festival in Taipei, I touched upon a range of topics...
- My Disney career in Burbank and Beijing
- The role of Magic Dumpling Entertainment in China’s animation development
- The establishment of the Disney China Local Content Production team
- Creating Disney’s first Chinese TV co-production: Ban Jin Ba Liang
- The similarities and differences between the Chinese and American animation industries
- The future of animation (interactive, immersive, intelligent)
- The impact of virtual reality and artificial intelligence
- The creative potential of immersive environments and virtual beings
- Observations on Taiwan’s animation scene vis-a-vis mainland China
- Advice to young artists and animators (including the importance of doubt)
Hanging Out in HangzhouPrevious Post
In the Age of AI