Something “pickeled” this way comes as Flint Lockwood and the gang battle an island full of crazy “foodimals.”
As far as zany, colorful and “punny” capers go, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 surely takes the cake. Picking up one minute after the original film’s story concludes, our reluctant hero Flint Lockwood heads off on yet another epicurious adventure, this time deep into the heart of the untamed smorgasbord of Swallow Falls, a land transformed into a culinary-themed wild frontier complete with maple syrup bogs and a entirely new ecosystem filled with foodimals – part food, part animal.
Released in various packs of Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray not 3D, Not Blu-ray regular DVD and digital download, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is good old fashioned maniacal cartoon fun. Though Flint and his friends, this time matching wits with the evil genious Chester V, give us something to root for, ultimately, the stars of this show are the inventive, clever and often funny foodimals and the beautifully designed backgrounds and environments that make up their home.
The Blu-ray Combo packs come with a number of extras, including 4 short “mini-movies” that riff on different characters and shinanegans from the movie, as well as a look at the voice cast, behind the scenes activities and commentary by directors Kris Pearn and Cody Cameron.
Come on – how can you not love a film where the hero’s journey put him face to face with…a leek in his boat?
Find out all the details here.
3D Blu-ray & Blu-ray Combo Pack exclusives include:
- Four Mini-Movies*
- “Attack of the 50-Foot Gummi Bear” – Flint’s mischievous gummi bear grows to 50-feet by using his new food-modifying invention while Steve is in charge. Steve must frantically chase the gummi bear and transform him back to normal size before Flint returns to the lab.
- “Steve’s First Bath” - Flint’s failed date with Sam is because of Steve’s mischievous ways.
- “Super Manny” - Manny, the Jack of all trades, saves an adorable kitty with his many skills.
- “Earl Scouts” – The Foodimals join Earl's scouting program but are very competitive.
- Deleted Scenes
3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD bonus features include:
- Filmmaker Commentary with directors Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn
- Seven All-New Featurettes:
- “Anatomy of a Foodimal” - Flamangos, Cheesespiders, Hippotatomuses! Oh my! Sit down with filmmakers to discuss the inspiration behind these wacky food-animal hybrids that have taken over Swallow Falls, and chat with the gang to find out how they came up with the Food-imal's creative and amusing names.
- “Production Design: Back in the Kitchen” - Where do you go after it rains cheeseburgers all over Swallow Falls? Back to the kitchen of course! Hear from filmmakers Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn on how they came up with stories and jokes for the film.
- “Awesome End Credits” - Dive into the end credit sequence with the filmmakers and discover how they used a mix of 3D, 2D, stop motion and live action.
- “Cloudy Café: Who’s On the Menu?” – Hear from newcomers Will Forte and Kristen Schaal about what drew them (pun intended) to this animated feature and how they "discovered" the voices of Chester V and Barb. Then, sit down with Terry Crews, as he steps into the pair of size 12 shoes left by Mr. T to portray Officer Earl Devereaux. Plus, hear from all your returning favorites including Anna Ferris and Bill Hader.
- “Building the Foodimals” - Animators discuss creating and animating the foodimals.
- “The Sasquash “- Exploring all the places in the film that the sneaky Sasquash is hiding.
- “Delicious Production Design” - Animators discuss the design of the film
- Cody Simpson “La Da Dee” Music Video & Making of the video featurette
*Attack of the 50-Foot Gummi Bear and Steve’s First Bath are all-new mini-movies
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 has a running time of approximately 95 minutes and is rated PG for mild rude humor.
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.