Get ready for virtual reality with Chinese characteristics.
Say what you will about the People’s Republic of China, but it’s never without a plan (even if those don’t always pan out). Just in time for Christmas, mainland China’s Ministry of Industry has set out a platform of goals for VR, guided (as always) by “Xi Jinping’s new era of socialism with Chinese characteristics” (get used to that boilerplate qualifier as China continues to assert itself on the world stage in the wake of America’s retreat).
A couple years ago, I wrote about the wild & wooly days of “China’s VR Gold Rush”. Now here’s China’s party line (literally and figuratively) on the vector of virtual reality. As expected, the Communist Party of China has stepped in to fill the leadership void... and it only took two years. ;-)
For those of us who can’t parse the original Mandarin, here’s a (presumably accurate) English translation. The agility with which the text handsprings from socialist prescriptions to refresh rates is both amusing and impressive (keeping in mind that, regardless of nation or ideology, VR constitutes the ultimate surveillance state).
Goals for VR set by China
First, the overall requirements:
(1) Guiding ideology
Guided by Xi Jinping's new era of socialism with Chinese characteristics, comprehensively implement the spirit of the 19th Party Congress, grasp the new generation of information technology such as virtual reality, foster development opportunities, adhere to market leadership, application traction, innovation drive, and coordinated development to strengthen technology products. R & D, rich content service supply as the starting point, to optimize the development environment, establish standards and norms, strengthen public services as a support, enhance the ability of industrial innovation and development, promote new technologies, new products, new formats, new models widely used in various fields, promote The high-quality development of China's information industry provides new kinetic energy for China's economic and social development.
(2) Development goals
By 2020, China's virtual reality industry chain is basically sound, and its application in important economic and social industries has been deepened. Several industrial technology innovation centers have been built, and core key technological innovations have made significant breakthroughs, creating a batch of replicable, scalable, and remarkable results. The typical demonstration application and industry application solutions create a group of outstanding virtual reality industry innovation bases, and initially form a development pattern of technology, products, services and applications.
By 2025, the overall strength of China's virtual reality industry has entered the forefront of the world, mastered the key core patents and standards of virtual reality, and formed a number of virtual reality backbone enterprises with strong international competitiveness. The innovation capability has been significantly enhanced, and the application service level has been greatly improved. The comprehensive development strength has achieved a leap, the virtual reality application capability has been significantly improved, and the quality and efficiency of development in various fields of economic and social development have been significantly improved.
Second, the key tasks:
(1) Breaking through key core technologies
Strengthen the synergy between industry, academia and research to promote the research of basic theories, common technologies and applied technologies related to virtual reality. Adhere to the whole machine drive, system traction, focus on virtual reality modeling, display, sensing, interaction and other key links, strengthen dynamic environment modeling, real-time 3D graphics generation, multi-data processing, real-time motion capture, real-time location tracking, fast rendering processing Such key technologies are underway to accelerate the development and industrialization of virtual reality visual graphics processors (GPUs), physical computing processors (PPUs), high-performance sensing processors, and new near-eye display devices.
- Near-eye display technology. Achieve 30PPD (pixels per degree) single-eye angle resolution, 100Hz or more refresh rate, millisecond response time of the new display device and the supporting driver chip mass production. Develop a human-friendly optical system to solve the dizziness caused by convergence adjustment conflicts and low picture quality. Accelerate the industrialization of micro-display technologies such as silicon-based organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDoS), micro-light-emitting diodes (MicroLEDs), and light field displays, and promote near-eye display to high resolution, low latency, low power consumption, wide viewing angle, Variable depth of field, thin and light, and other directions.
- Perceptual interaction technology. Accelerate the research and development and industrialization of six-axis and above GHz inertial sensors and 3D cameras. Development of robust, millimeter-accurate interior-out tracking and positioning devices and motion capture devices. Accelerate the research and development of immersive sound field, voice interaction, eye tracking, tactile feedback, expression recognition, brain electrical interaction, optimize sensor fusion algorithm, and promote perceptual interaction to high precision, naturalization, mobility, multi-channel, low-power Consumption and other directions.
- Render processing technology. Develop rendering optimization algorithms based on visual characteristics and head-action interaction to accelerate the development and industrialization of high-performance GPU matching delay optimization algorithms. Break through key technologies such as next-generation graphics interface, rendering dedicated hard acceleration chip, cloud rendering, light field rendering, retina rendering, etc., and promote the development of rendering processing technology to high image quality, low latency, and low power consumption.
- Content production technology. Develop full-view 12K resolution, 60 frames per second frame rate, high dynamic range (HDR), multi-camera synchronization and separate exposure, wireless real-time preview and other image capture technologies, focusing on high-quality panoramic 3D real-time stitching algorithms to achieve development engine, Versatility and consistency between software, peripherals and head-mounted platforms.
(2) Enriching the effective supply of products
Facing the information consumption upgrade demand and industry application requirements, accelerate the research and development and industrialization of virtual reality machine equipment, sensory interaction equipment, content collection and production equipment, development tool software, industry solutions and distribution platforms, and enrich the effective supply of virtual reality products. .
——The whole machine equipment. Development of low-cost, high-performance, human-like, mobile-type, all-in-one, vehicle-mounted, cave-type, contact lens-type virtual reality machine equipment that meets human eye physiological characteristics. Develop virtual reality industry terminal equipment for key industry sectors such as manufacturing, education, culture, health, commerce, and specific application scenarios.
- Perceive interactive devices. Developed from inside-out tracking and positioning devices, high-performance 3D cameras and high-precision interactive handles, data gloves, eye tracking devices, data clothing, force feedback devices, brain-computer interfaces and other cognitive interaction devices.
- Content collection production equipment. Accelerate the research and development and industrialization of content capture and production equipment such as motion capture, panoramic camera, immersive sound field acquisition equipment, and 3D scanner, to meet the needs of different application level content production of film, television, network media, and self media.
- Development tool software. Develop virtual reality machine operating system, 3D development engine, content creation software, and development tool software such as sensory interaction and rendering processing to enhance the system integration and integration innovation of virtual reality software and hardware products.
--Industry Solutions. Develop integrated solutions for virtual R&D, virtual assembly manufacturing, virtual inspection and maintenance, virtual training, and virtual goods display for typical applications in key industries.
- Distribution platform. Develop a cloud-based virtual reality network distribution and application service aggregation platform (CloudVR) to promote the establishment of efficient and secure virtual reality content and application payment platforms and distribution channels.
(III) Promoting the application of key industries
Guide and support the development of “VR+”, promote the application of virtual reality technology products in manufacturing, education, culture, health, commerce and other industries, innovate and integrate development paths, foster new models, new formats, and expand virtual reality application space.
- VR+ manufacturing. Promote the application of virtual reality technology in manufacturing R&D design, inspection and maintenance, operation training, process management, marketing display, etc., and improve the auxiliary design capability and manufacturing service level of manufacturing enterprises. Promote the integration of virtual reality technology and manufacturing data acquisition and analysis system, realize visual management of production site data, improve the precision of manufacturing execution and process control, and promote the development of new manufacturing modes such as collaborative manufacturing and remote collaboration. Construct an intelligent service platform combining industrial big data, industrial internet and virtual reality to enhance the ability of manufacturing integration and innovation. Promote the application of virtual reality technology in digital workshops and intelligent workshops for key industries such as automobile, steel and high-end equipment manufacturing.
- VR + education. Promote the application of virtual reality technology in the fields of higher education, vocational education and physics, chemistry, biology, geography and other experimental and demonstration courses, build virtual classrooms, virtual laboratories and other educational and teaching environments, develop virtual lesson preparation, virtual lectures, A new method of education and teaching, such as virtual exams, promotes individualized learning centered on learners and promotes the transformation of teaching and learning models. Create a virtual training base, continue to enrich the training content, improve the level of professional skills training, and meet the training needs of professional and technical personnel in various fields. Promote the development of virtual reality education resources, realize large-scale demonstration and application, and promote the integration and development of science, training, teaching and scientific research.
- VR + culture. In the fields of culture, tourism and cultural relics protection, we will enrich the content supply of virtual reality experience, promote the transplantation of existing digital content to virtual reality content, and meet the needs of people's cultural consumption upgrade. Develop virtual reality film and television works and live content, encourage video platforms to create virtual reality zones, and provide virtual reality video on demand, concerts, sports events, live news events and other services. Create virtual cinemas and virtual concert halls to provide a multi-sensory experience model to enhance the user experience. Construct virtual reality theme parks, virtual reality industry experience halls, etc., and innovate cultural communication methods. Promote the application of virtual reality in the fields of cultural relics restoration, cultural relics and art display, sculpture and three-dimensional painting, and innovate artistic creation and expression.
- VR + health. Accelerate the application of virtual reality technology in medical teaching training and simulation exercises, surgical planning and navigation, and promote the improvement of medical service intelligence. Promote the application of virtual reality technology in psychological counseling, rehabilitation nursing, etc., explore the complementary and perfection of virtual reality technology to existing medical treatment methods, develop virtual reality home care, online diagnosis and treatment, virtual visit service, and improve the level of telemedicine.
- VR + business. Comply with the trend of scene shopping in the fields of e-commerce, home improvement design, commercial display, etc., develop and apply professional virtual reality display system to provide personalized, customized real estate, home, home appliances, interior decoration and apparel virtual design, experience and transaction. Platform, develop virtual reality shopping system, innovative business promotion and shopping experience model.
(4) Building a public service platform
Relying on industry leading enterprises, industry organizations and financial institutions and other third-party institutions, facing the development needs of the virtual reality industry, building and operating industrial public service platforms, providing technical research, financial support, results transformation, testing and promotion, information exchange, innovation incubation, etc. Service, promote the construction of a virtual reality ecosystem that integrates large-scale innovation, investment, incubation and management, and optimize the industrial development environment.
——Common technology innovation services. Focusing on the technological innovation needs of the virtual reality industry, focusing on basic research and common research and development support, we will gather key enterprises, well-known colleges and universities, and professional laboratories, research institutes, research and development centers, technology centers, engineering centers and other innovative institutions in the field of virtual reality. Resources to jointly promote virtual reality common technology innovation. Guide and help enterprises and professional institutions to declare domestic and international patents and form intellectual property rights in a timely manner. Explore the establishment of virtual reality scientific and technological achievements transformation and incentive mechanism to promote the transformation of results across industries, departments and regions.
- Innovation and entrepreneurship incubation services. Integrate innovative and entrepreneurial factor resources, provide open, low-cost, and convenient integrated all-factor services, promote the sharing and sharing of virtual reality innovation resources, and provide > virtual reality R&D resources. Support various types of business incubators, create space and other carriers to create a professional, full-process innovation and entrepreneurial service system for virtual reality, provide entrepreneurial guidance, innovation funds, assistive technology, legal assistance, education and training for start-ups and innovation teams. And other services.
- Industry exchange docking services. Agglomeration of industry organizations and third-party institutional service resources, establishment of virtual reality industry information exchange and cooperation docking public service system, providing virtual reality industry consulting training, project docking, application promotion, technology transactions, results transformation, intellectual property, exhibition business, financial leasing , human resources, industry research and other services to promote industrial information sharing and promote industrial ecological development.
(5) Building a standard specification system
We will play a guiding role in supporting the industry, establish a synergy mechanism for production, education and research, and improve the virtual reality standards and evaluation system. Strengthen the top-level design of the standard system, focus on the national/industry standards revision and revision of basic, public welfare, key technologies and products, and effectively support and serve the development of the industry. Efforts will be made to promote the internationalization of standards and accelerate the process of international standardization in China.
- Establish a standard specification system. The study determines the top-level design of virtual reality comprehensive standardization, builds a standardization system for virtual reality, and proposes a standardized path and timetable. Encourage the development of group standards that lead the promotion, improve the group standard conversion mechanism, and form a new standard system mechanism that is coordinated by the government-developed standards and coordinated by the market. Actively guide and support domestic enterprises, scientific research institutions, and institutions of higher learning to participate in the formulation of international standards.
-- Accelerate the development of key standards. Increase the standards of basic, security, and application standards, standardize interface data, program interfaces, interconnection and other standards, and promote the exchange and mutual recognition between different products and application systems. Develop standards for the safety and health of virtual reality products that meet human vision, hearing habits, and meet physiological and mental health requirements, and improve the basic security assurance capabilities of virtual reality products. Improve the content grading standards system based on different audiences such as children, adolescents, adults, and special groups.
—— Carry out testing and certification work. Research and establish a virtual reality product inspection and evaluation mechanism, build a test evaluation system covering virtual reality technology, products, services, etc., and support third-party organizations to carry out virtual reality key standard publicity and product quality assessment testing. Organize the development of standard compliance tests for mainstream virtual reality products in the market and publish quality analysis reports.
(6) Enhancing security support capabilities
Strengthen the construction of security protection capabilities of virtual reality system platforms. Research on attack monitoring and defense technologies for virtual reality, promote the construction of security risk monitoring and early warning capabilities for key virtual reality products, strengthen the sharing of security threat information, timely release virtual reality security vulnerability risks and early warning information, and promote government, industry and enterprise Virtual reality security information sharing and collaborative linkage.
Strengthen the protection of important data and personal information in the virtual reality field. Implementing policy documents such as data security and user personal information protection regulations, and guiding the enterprise to regulate the collection, storage, use and destruction of user personal information for the virtual reality industry technology and product characteristics, and enhance the enterprise in the process of developing virtual reality business. The level of protection of the user's personal information.
Third, the promotion measures:
(1) Increase policy support. Closely integrate the relevant national industrial policies, use existing channels, and support innovative ways to focus on supporting the development and industrialization of virtual reality technology. Strengthen the tracking and monitoring of the development of the industry and the development of the situation. Financial institutions are encouraged to carry out financing business and credit insurance business that meet the characteristics of the virtual reality industry, and further expand industrial financing channels.
(2) To play the role of local government. Strengthen the guidance and coordination of local work, guide local integration of practical supporting policies and specific implementation measures, support local construction industry development public service platform, and carry out exchanges and cooperation between regions. All localities should increase their investment, concentrate on breaking through key core technologies, enrich product supply, and actively use virtual reality products and solutions in people's livelihood and public welfare projects.
(3) Promote the promotion of demonstration applications. Encourage key regions and key industry enterprises to target demanding applications and accelerate the application of virtual reality application technologies and industry solutions. Support local and enterprise organizations to implement virtual reality application projects, explore the formation of application models and business models that can be promoted and replicated, and summarize outstanding cases and development experiences in a timely manner.
(4) Construction of an industrial development base. Support the construction of virtual reality industry development bases under conditions, and guide virtual reality enterprises to gather at the base. Organize the identification of virtual reality industry characteristic bases and guide the direction of differentiated construction. Coordinate the construction of virtual reality industry carriers and innovation centers, and form a networked and collaborative development promotion system.
(5) Strengthening the creation of industrial brands. Increase the summarization and promotion of excellent virtual reality enterprises, products, services, platforms and application cases, and increase the visibility of China's virtual reality brands. Strengthening the development bases and industry organizations for excellent industries