Leading up to March 4th, use our handy guide to catch up and keep up with AWN’s coverage of the films and creative teams nominated for Best Animated Short Film at the 90th Academy Awards.
Each year, here at Animation World Network, we put a spotlight on the five animated shorts -- and the talented, dedicated and groundbreaking creative teams behind them -- to receive an Academy Award nomination, as well as the numerous other awards and accolades gathered along the way.
This year’s nominees for the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film, culled from a field of 63 qualified films narrowed down to a final shortlist of 10 contenders, represent some of the most compelling creative efforts of an industry that is constantly evolving, pushing the envelope of artistry and emotion with techniques and approaches that refine and stretch the rich history of what has come before. Employing a range of techniques, they include an homage to a celebrated athlete, a photorealistic romp with nature, a tender take on bullying, the emotional bond of a family connection, and a hilarious return to storybook land.
Leading up to the 90th Academy Awards on March 4, AWN’s ANIMATIONWorld Magazine will be taking a close look at each of the nominated films -- and the creative teams behind them -- with in-depth interviews and behind-the-scenes peeks at some of the most outstanding and memorable short films of 2017.
Here is a handy guide to AWN’s coverage of the five nominated films from the past year, to be updated with new content as we get closer to Oscar Sunday. Take a few minutes to see what you might have missed, and check back regularly for updates!
- An Ode to Dreams: Glen Keane’s ‘Dear Basketball’
- Glenn Keane’s ‘Dear Basketball’ Delivers Fitting Tribute to Kobe Bryant
- ‘Garden Party’ Leads to an Oscar Nom for French Students
- What are all those paint men digging? - 'Garden Party'
- Embracing Change: Pixar Production Designer Albert Lozano Talks ‘LOU’
- Interview: Dave Mullins and the Development of Pixar Short ‘Lou’
- Pixar Bringing ‘Cars 3,’ ‘Lou’ and a Sneak Preview of ‘Coco’ to Annecy 2017
- Get a First Look at Pixar’s Newest Short Film, ‘Lou’
- Unpacking ‘Negative Space’ with Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata
- ‘Negative Space’ Explores the Lasting Bond Between a Father and Son
- ‘Negative Space’ Takes Top Honor at KLIK!