The World Animation Celebration (WAC) took place August 7-12, 2001 in Hollywood, California with six days of film screenings, business conferences and career sessions, plus the marketplace. The awards ceremony was the first induction into the Animation Hall of Fame, honoring men and women whose contributions to the arts, business, education and entertainment of animation has been of the greatest value. The 2001 Hall Of Fame winners were animation legends Walt Disney, Chuck Jones and Windsor McCay.
Geographical Region: North America
* 2nd Annual Festival of Fantasy, Horror and Science Fiction: Friday, August 03 - Sunday, August 26, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
* Maximum Pictures: The Visionary Cinema of Ridley Scott: Friday, September 14 - Sunday, September 23, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
All films will be showing at the Egyptian Theater, 6712 Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles. Tickets are: $8 General; $7 Student/Senior; and $6 Members.
- Friday, September 14 at 7:30 pm: ALIEN, 1979. Discussion following with director Ridley Scott. Special ticket price: $10 General; $9 Student/Senior; and $8 Members.
- Saturday, September 15 at 7:30 pm: GLADIATOR, 2000.
* Short Attention Span Film & Video Festival: Friday, August 03 - Thursday, October 18, 2001, North American Tour, USA.
The 2001 SHORT ATTENTION SPAN Film and Video Festival will be a touring event bringing two hours of two minute movies from around the world. It will showcase the best of short animation, comedy, sci-fi, documentary, poetry and more. Festival locations and dates are:
* Side Effects' SIGGRAPH 2001 Houdini Training Seminar: Sunday, August 12, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
Cinar Corporation has released a letter to shareholders providing its financial information for the six-month period ended May 31, 2001. President and chief executive officer Barrie Usher stressed in the opening of the letter that the report is unaudited because "current senior management cannot presently provide the required assurances with respect to financial periods prior to its appointment." The troubled firm had some positive developments in the past six months, including the okay by Telefilm Canada, a Canadian government funding organization, to develop official co-productions.
Anima Mundi has released the winners for its 2001 festival, which took place from Friday, July 13 Monday, July 23, 2001 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil then moved to São Paulo, Brazil from Wednesday, July 25 Sunday, July 29, 2001. The festival is the major animation festival in South America. The festival included a wide range of open activities, including workshops, lectures and exhibitions. The winners were chosen by a panel of 26 animation industry professionals from around the world. Below is a complete list of winners.
TOPIX has created a computer animated 10-second tag, entitled "Futbol," promoting the new Mennen roll-on deodorant. The spot features an animated Mennen Speed Stick expertly juggling a soccer ball. "After viewing a video of a soccer player bouncing a ball around, I thought it would be interesting to utilize the feeling of a handheld camera," said TOPIX animation director Chris Johnson.
This week's updates to the Calendar of Events include: The 2nd Annual Festival of Fantasy, Horror and Science Fiction: Friday, August 03 - Sunday, August 26, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA. Animation Art Auction: Sunday, August 12 - Thursday, August 16, 2001, Calabasas, California USA. Maximum Pictures: The Visionary Cinema of Ridley Scott: Friday, September 14 - Sunday, September 23, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA. Television Business School: Wednesday, October 24 - Sunday, October 28, 2001, Lübeck, Germany.
Anima Mundi 2001 took place from Friday, July 13 - Monday, July 23, 2001 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil then moved to São Paulo, Brazil from Wednesday, July 25 - Sunday, July 29, 2001. The major animation festival in South America, Anima Mundi included a wide range of open activities, including workshops, lectures and exhibitions. A panel of twenty-six animation industry professionals from around the world chose the 2001 festival winners: Best Film: "Father And Daughter" by Michael Dudok de Wit, Holland.
Mohandiseen, Giza, Egypt's Alsahar Animation, a production company, is looking for a 2D ANIMATOR for a feature film. The animator will work through the Internet, no need to relocate. . . Los Angeles, California's Animation World Network is looking for a WEB DESIGNER to help manage and maintain the entire Animation World Network Website. . . San Francisco, California's Apex Pictures, producers of short comedy films, is looking for a 3D ANIMATOR for a series. . .
* 2002 International CES Conference: Tuesday, January 08 - Friday, January 11, 2002, Las Vegas, Nevada USA.
The International CES is center stage for the interaction of digital content, technology, media and delivery. More than 100,000 industry professionals-retailers, manufacturers, content providers, government leaders, corporate buyers, financial analysts and journalists are expected to attend the 2002 International CES. For more information, visit: www.CESweb.org.
* NATPE Content Marketplace: Monday, January 21 - Thursday, January 24, 2002, Las Vegas, Nevada USA.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada's Animation Resource Group is looking for a 3D CHARACTER MODELER, 3D TECHINCAL DIRECTOR and SENIOR 3D ANIMATOR. . . Toronto, Ontario, Canada's Evil Clown Animation is looking for an ANIMATOR for an animated short. . . Barcelona, Spain's FILMAX, a production and distribution company, is looking for a 2D ANIMATOR and ASSISTANT ANIMATOR. . . India's Spanfilms, a training center, is looking for an ALIAS WAVEFRONT INSTRUCTOR. . . London, UK's ITS, a computer game company, is looking for a 3D STUDIO MAX ANIMATOR and 3D STUDIO MAX GAME ARTIST. . .
* ASIFA-Hollywood Presents: Cal'Arts 2001 Character Animation Show: Wednesday, August 29, 2001, Burbank, California USA.
ASIFA-Hollywood is presenting "It Came From The Cubes!," CalArts 2001 Character Animation Producers show. The show will begin at 7:30 pm. The entry fee will be US$2 for members and $5 for non-members. Seating is limited. For more information, contact: ASIFA-Hollywood, 721 S. Victory Blvd., Burbank, CA 91502, USA; Tel: (818) 842-8330; Web: www.asifa-hollywood.org.
* Animation Workout With Guest Director Ginny McSwain: Tuesday, September 11, 2001, Burbank, California USA.
* RMCAD And ASIFA-Colorado Present Computer Animation Artist Barbara Mones-Hattal: Thursday, September 13, 2001, Denver, Colorado USA.
RMCAD and ASIFA-Colorado welcome Barbara Mones-Hattal, renowned computer animation artist. Barbara is also a faculty member at the University of Washington. For more information, contact: ASIFA-Colorado @ RMCAD, 6875 E. Evans Ave., Denver, CO 80224, USA; Tel: (800) 888-ARTS; Fax: (303)759-4970; Email: EBakst@RMCAD.edu.
* Giant Screen Theater Association 2001 Conference & Trade Show: Thursday, September 20 - Tuesday, September 25, 2001, Chicago, Illinois USA.
Entry Deadline: Sunday, July 01, 2001
This week's updates to the Calendar of Events include: Short Attention Span Film & Video Festival: Friday, August 03 - Thursday, October 18, 2001, North American Tour, USA. Side Effects' SIGGRAPH 2001 Houdini Training Seminar: Sunday, August 12, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA. Animation Brainstorming Session: Wednesday, August 15, 2001, Glendale, California USA. Daniel Langlois Foundation's Grants for Researchers in Residence: Thursday, January 31 - Tuesday, December 31, 2002, Montreal, Quebec Canada.
* Alias|Wavefront Siggraph User Group Meeting at SIGGRAPH 2001: Sunday, August 12 - Wednesday, August 15, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, August 01, 2001
* Vancouver Film School Presentation at Siggraph: Thursday, August 16, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
* Animation Workout With Guest Director Larry Hummel, ICM: Tuesday, August 21, 2001, Burbank, California USA.