* Wednesday, August 26. Burbank, California, U.S.A.Women In Animation Los Angeles presents Teaming Up: Artists & Writers in Collaboration, a panel discussion featuring television animation creative teams Sue Rose and Nanatchka Khan (Pepper Ann, Disney), Liz Scofield and John McCann (Animaniacs, Warner Bros.) and Bill Kopp and Jeff DeGrandis (Toonsylvania, DreamWorks). There will also be a screening of the stereoscopic computer-animated short Azimuth by Staceyjoy Elkin (3D viewing glasses provided). The event will be at the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank (Hollywood way entrance). Space is limited and advance RSVP is required. Call (310) 535-3838.
Read a review and view a clip of Staceyjoy Elkins film, Azimuth in the August 1998 issue of Animation World Magazine.
* Wednesday, August 26. Burbank, California, U.S.A.ASIFA-Hollywood presents an evening with animator and educator Jules Engel at 7:30 p.m. The conversation, focusing on Engels work during the Golden Age of animation in Hollywood, will be hosted by Tom Sito, and held at ASIFA-Hollywoods headquarters at 725 South Victory Blvd. (near Alameda) in Burbank. A small donation is requested. For information and reservations call (818) 842-8330.
* Friday, August 28. New York City, New York, and Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.Bill Plymptons animated feature film, I Married a Strange Person will launch its North American theatrical run at two theaters simultaneously: the Anjelika in New York and the NuArt in Los Angeles. The film is being distributed by Lions Gate Entertainment. For more showdates and information, visit www.awn.com/plympton.
* Saturday, August 29. Pasadena, California, U.S.A.The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS) presents the Creative Arts Emmy Awards in a special show at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium which will be taped and televised on the cable network, TV Land, on September 11. This will be the first time the Creative Arts Awards, including its craft-specific Emmys such as outstanding individual achievement in animation--will be televised.
* Sunday, August 30 - Friday, September 4. San Francisco, California, U.S.A.Seybold, a conference and exposition of publishing technologies, takes place at Moscone Center. Classes will cover topics such as Animation and Video for the Web. On Tuesday, September 1, a keynote speech will be given by Steve Jobs, chairman and CEO of Pixar Animation Studios and co-founder and interim CEO of Apple Computer, Inc. For information visit www.seyboldseminars.com.