InterActual has supplied an embedded virtual key that unlocks a special Website filled with exclusive online features THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Special Extended DVD Edition (New Line Home Ent., $39.99). Called DVDKey, the technology from InterActual grants viewers access to content online when the DVD is placed in a PC and played back using an InterActual-compatible DVD player.
The online bonus features include:
* A Journal for the Ages -- Create your own journal, The Lord of the Rings style. Also includes personalized stationery, bookmarks, calendars, desktop images and more.
* Constructing Middle Earth -- See and zoom in on the detailed plans for sets constructed for THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies. The plans are linked to video clips of the scenes that take place in these sets.
* The Murals of Rivendell -- View the artwork that adorns the walls of Rivendell and read comments by their artist.
* Saruman's Book -- Explore Saruman's book, and view comments by its artist/creator.
* Character Palantir -- View graphically represented information about the characters and how they relate to each other. Includes video clips and printable portraits.
* Cast and Crew Palantir -- Study the discography of the cast and crew and how they relate to each other. Uses an interactive Venn diagram format.
"Fans of Tolkien's work are sure to enjoy the additional depth and interactivity that these online features deliver," said Jean-Paul Leonard, creative director of Company Wide Shut and developer of the online features. "This release represents the culmination of the entire trilogy's online bonus content."
"InterActual's DVDKey allows for compelling bonus feature content that delivers the vision and detail that is expected of any derivative work based on THE LORD OF THE RINGS motion picture trilogy," added Gunthar Hartwig, program director and producer for InterActual. "Because viewers access these bonus features online, content can be updated and refreshed even after the DVD has been released."
InterActual-compatible players for Windows PCs include InterVideo WinDVD 6 with the InterActual Pack option, and the free InterActual Player included on the Extended Edition DVDs. WinDVD 6 users with the InterActual Pack can enjoy THE RETURN OF THE KING enhanced features in the WinDVD interface with no additional software installation required.
New Line Home Ent. distributes New Line Cinema, a Time Warner company, and Fine Line Features theatrical films on DVD and VHS, including the premium DVD brand infinifilm. The company also distributes feature films and non-theatrical programs acquired or produced by New Line Home Ent. and New Line Television. Founded in 1967, New Line Cinema is the leading independent producer and distributor of theatrical films. It licenses its programming to ancillary markets, including cable and broadcast television, as well as in all international markets.
Company Wide Shut (www.companywideshut.com
) offers creative direction and design services with a focus on interactive media. The company has been recognized for award-winning DVD menu design, motion graphics, supplemental material and DVD-ROM development. Recent notable work includes THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy DVD menus and collaboration with illustrator and conceptual designer Alan Lee on the design of the theatrical closing credits for the film THE RETURN OF THE KING.
), a subsidiary of Sonic Solutions, is a leading provider of software and services that enable cutting-edge DVD interactivity in computers and next-generation home entertainment platforms.