Dead Man’s Chest Gets $1 Billion Booty
Created 09/10/2006 - 23:00
Walt Disney Pictures PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST officially crossed the $1 billion mark at the global box office on Friday, Sept. 8, thus becoming only the third film in history (behind TITANIC and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING) to achieve this rare feat. DEAD MANS CHEST did it in nine weeks compared to 10 for THE RETURN OF THE KING. However, through the weekend ended Sept. 11, DEAD MANS CHEST has run its total to $1,004, 091,183, according to boxofficemojo.
The Buena Vista film, which continues to break records around the world, has topped the international box office for nine consecutive weeks. Thus far, DEAD MANS CHEST has grossed $416.5 million at the domestic box office, making it the #1 film of the year. Internationally, its cumulative tally now stands at $587.5 million, also making it the number #1 film of the year. DEAD MANS CHEST is scheduled to open in Italy on Sept. 13.
Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said, To say we are excited is an understatement. This is truly an historical time for The Walt Disney Studios and a time to celebrate. PIRATES continues to perform on all cylinders and this is a real tribute to the remarkable team of Jerry Bruckheimer, Gore Verbinski, Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, Orlando Bloom and writers Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio. The films phenomenal success all over the world proves once again that audiences will vote to come back again and again when presented with great entertainment.
Among the milestones:
* Highest three-day opening in box-office history ($135.6 million)
* First film in box office history to pass $100 million in only two days
* Tied as fastest film in history to reach $200 million (eight days)
* Fastest film in box office history to pass $300 million (16 days)
* Passed the $305.4 million final gross of its predecessor (PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL) in the same 16 days as above
* Opening day gross ($55.8 million) is highest single-day gross in box-office history
* PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST is the 51st film in Buena Vista history to pass $100 million in gross, the most of any studio
* PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST is the 13th film in Buena Vista history to pass $200 million in gross, the most of any studio
* PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST is the highest grossing film in Buena Vista history and the sixth highest grossing film of all-time ($414.0 million through 9/4/06)
* PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST is the biggest international release of 2006.
* It is the sixth biggest film ever released internationally.
* The film is the most popular international release in the history of The Walt Disney Studios.
* Since its initial weekend of release overseas, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST has ranked #1 for nine consecutive weekends in a row. This is the longest consecutive weekend reign of any film this century (and surpasses the previous record of seven weekends held by PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL back in 2003.
* Biggest Buena Vista International opening of all-time: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Brazil, Croatia, Czech, Egypt, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia, So. Africa, Malaysia, Holland, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UAE, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela
* Biggest BVI film of all time: Argentina, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, Denmark, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Jordan, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Norway, Oman, Russia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Switzerland, UAE, U.K.
* Biggest industry opening of all-time: Greece, Russia and Spain
* Biggest U.S. film of all-time: Russia
* 52nd in BVI history to pass $100M in gross, the most of any studio
* 19th in BVI history to pass $200M in gross, the most of any studio