The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Scientific and Technical Awards Committee will review 14 scientific and technical achievements for 76th Academy Awards consideration, according to committee chair Richard Edlund, but its not too late to submit entries.
"Publicizing the selections under consideration gives people or companies with a similar technology the opportunity to submit that technology for review by the Sci-Tech Committee. These additional entries are often also considered," said Edlund. The deadline for additional entries to be submitted to the Academy is 5:00 pm, September 25, 2003.
The methods or devices selected by the committee and the individuals or companies submitting them are:
* Ultimate Director's Finder (UDF); Kish Optics
* Kinoton FP 30/38 EC High Speed Studio Projector; Kinoton America
* Kodak Process-Surviving Film Antistatic Technology; Eastman Kodak Co.
* Influential Work in High Dynamic Range Imaging and Image Based-Lighting; ICT Graphics Lab
* Digidesign Pro Tools Digital Audio Workstation; Digidesign "Massive" Animation System; Massive Ltd.
* Subsurface Scattering Rendering System (SCAT); Industrial Light & Magic
* ESC Entertainment Lighting Reconstruction Toolkit; ESC Entertainment
* Truematch Compact Fluorescent Lamp Series, KF29, KF32 & KF55; Kino Flo, Inc.
* Cablecam's Multi-Axis Systems; Cablecam International
* Series of Four Separate but Integrated Macro/Micro 8/70 & 15/70 * 3D Camera Heads; Image Quest 3-D Ltd.
* Hot Gears Remote Systems; Salamati Prods., Inc.
* Digital Hybrid Wireless Microphones; Lectrosonics, Inc.
* Silicone Appliances (Special Makeup); Greg Cannom
A demonstration of selected achievements will be conducted on Tuesday, October 21, in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater. The committee will then meet on December 3 to vote on recommendations to the Academy's Board of Governors, who will make the final decisions. The Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented at The Ritz-Carlton Huntington Hotel in Pasadena on February 14, 2004.
Information and application packets may be obtained by contacting Miller's office via phone at 310-247-3000, ext. 129; by fax at 310-859-9619; via e-mail to email@example.com
or by visiting the Academy Website at www.oscars.org