New York, NY -– Callaway Digital Arts and Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit education organization behind Sesame Street, announce the launch of the app The Great Cookie Thief,starring Cookie Monster, now available on the App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch for a special introductory price of $0.99.
Based on the 1977 best-selling book by Emmy Award-winning Sesame Street author Emily Perl Kingsley and illustrated by Michael Smollin, The Great Cookie Thief is a vibrantly animated, interactive book app set in an Old West town plagued by a mystery bandit who steals cookies from local bakeries. When the town’s citizens spot a new guy in town, who looks suspiciously like the cookie thief, they compare his characteristics to those featured in a wanted poster. The app encourages young kids to piece together the clues and use evidence to solve the mystery.
“We are proud to bring this classic story featuring one of the most beloved characters in the Sesame Street franchise to the App Store,” said Callaway Digital Arts CEO Rex Ishibashi. “With The Great Cookie Thief, parents can empower young children to move the story forward, use critical thinking skills to help solve the mystery and stretch their imaginations to create unique Wanted Posters that add limitless fun to the story."
“Transforming favorite Sesame Street books into innovative e-storytelling is a hallmark of our digital books program,” said Jennifer A. Perry, Vice President, Worldwide Publishing, Sesame Workshop. “With The Great Cookie Thief app, Cookie Monster fans young and old can enjoy this hilarious story as a new participatory learning experience.”
- Narration by the lovable Cookie Monster (voiced by David Rudman, who performs the character on Sesame Street) and other characters, who address the player
- Engaging activities that build visual identification and observation skills
- Variable story paths and comparisons providing alternate endings, so players will never have the same experience twice in a row
- More than 100 animations of the book’s original art when characters are tapped on-screen
- “Create” mode lets players create, print and share unique “Wanted” posters using a virtual photo booth and dozens of paintbrushes and stickers
- More than 20 parent tips to help children practice memory skills, build vocabulary and inspire imagination
- Option to purchase additional characters and art to add to the creative fun via In-App Purchase
Callaway and Sesame Workshop have partnered in two previous chart-topping, award-winning apps The Monster at the End of This Book, winner of the 2011 CYBILS Award, and its sequel Another Monster at the End of This Book, winner of the 2012 APPY Award and the Parents’ Choice Gold Award. Both apps have reached #1 in Books in the App Store
Source: Sesame Workshop