Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) will ship the new THUNDERBIRDS for Game Boy Advance to retail stores in the U. S. Aug. 4, 2004. The handheld game is based upon Universal Pictures' and Working Title Films' live-action feature film, THUNDERBIRDS.
Directed by Jonathan Frakes (STAR TREK: INSURRECTION, STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT, CLOCKSTOPPERS), the film adaptation of the classic 1960s TV series stars Bill Paxton and Sir Ben Kingsley and is scheduled for release July 30, 2004.
"We're pleased to collaborate once again with Universal Consumer Products Group on our latest theatrical-based game," said Philip O'Neil, president, VU Games. "This summer we're delivering the excitement of the THUNDERBIRDS movie experience into young gamers' hands for more action-packed fun."
Kids ages six and older take join aspiring International Rescue member Alan Tracy, and his friends Fermat and Tin Tin, on a quest to capture renegade master criminal, The Hood, in this new action/adventure game. Players take control of the Thunderbirds fleet of highly-advanced vehicles to travel across the globe and into outer space while testing their rescue skills by completing missions and solving puzzles to undo the havoc created by The Hood.
Key product features include:
* Play as three different characters:
* Alan Youngest Tracy who dreams of joining his family's top-secret organization International Rescue. Although his intentions are always good, he tends to not think before he acts, which gets him into trouble at times.
* Fermat Alan's best friend and confidant. He's the brains not brawn in this group of heroic friends.
* Tin Tin The third member of their trio and an extremely adventurous girl who knows Tracy Island like the back of her hand.
* Visit International Rescue's secret island base, battle an oil well fire in Alaska, blast off to the Thunderbirds space station, explore the bottom of the sea, and more.
* Race through dangerous terrain in Flight mode and complete missions and solve puzzles in Adventure mode.
* Features the entire Thunderbirds fleet:
* Thunderbird 1 International Rescue's high-speed reconnaissance rocket designed to reach disaster zones quickly. This awesome silver gray spearhead craft is extremely maneuverable with top speeds exceeding 15,000 miles per hour.
* Thunderbird 2 Renowned for its power and strength, this massive green leviathan carries International Rescue's vital heavy-duty engineering and life-saving equipment, including the versatile mini-sub, Thunderbird 4.
* Thunderbird 3 This bright red inter-stellar rescue rocket of the International Rescue organization is used for extra-orbital missions and also transports supplies to Thunderbird 5.
* Thunderbird 4 The smallest of the International Rescue vehicles, this versatile mini-sub is primarily used for underwater emergencies and is discreetly carried aboard Thunderbird 2. Whether removing obstacles from the ocean floor or gathering deep sea eco-samples it's the ultimate underwater reconnaissance craft.
* Thunderbird 5 This Massive communications satellite in permanent geo-stationary orbit is vital to International Rescue's operations. The heart of the organization's communications network, it provides immediate data on all rescue situations and keeps constant vigil over the earth and all four remaining Thunderbirds.
* Complete nine challenging levels packed with obstacles and enemies.
THUNDERBIRDS will be available in August 2004 on the Game Boy Advance for a suggested retail price of $29.99, with an ESRB "E" rating. For sales and ordering information, customers may visit www.vugames.com
Universal Studios Consumer Products Group is responsible for global licensing and retail strategies as well as building brand recognition of the extensive catalogue of NBC Universal properties.
Universal Studios Consumer Products Group is a unit of NBC Universal (formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Ent.), one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, VU Games (www.vugames.com
) is a global developer, publisher and distributor of interactive products for all major platforms including PCs, videogame consoles and the Internet. VU Games development studios and publishing labels include Blizzard Ent., Sierra Ent., Coktel, Fox Interactive, Knowledge Adventure and Massive Ent. Additionally, VU Games co-publishes and/or distributes titles for a number of strategic partners, including Interplay, inXile ent., Majesco and Mythic Ent.