Alice Upgraded to Masterpiece DVD
Created 01/27/2004 - 00:00
Walt Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951) may not be to everyone's liking, but it at least deserves careful consideration, since it really shines on the new two-disc Masterpiece Edition (Buena Vista Home Ent., $29.99) that hits stores Jan. 27, 2004. The feature has been cleaned up and remastered and shows off more vividly the work of the many talented animators (including Mary Blair, Bob Carlson, Marc Davis, John Hench, Ub Iwerks, Ollie Johnston, Milt Kahl, Ward Kimball, Eric Larson, Fred Moore and Frank Thomas). Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson and Hamilton Luske, with voice work by Kathryn Beaumont (Alice), Ed Wynn (Mad Hatter), Richard Haydn (Caterpillar), Sterling Holloway (Cheshire Cat), Jerry Colonna (March Hare) and Verna Felton (Queen of Hearts). Extras include the newly discovered Cheshire Cat song "I'm Odd."
Other extras include:
* Virtual Wonderland Party activities, including riddles, silly song & dance, Teapot orchestra, Mad Hatter Says and other games and stories
* "Thru the Mirror" animated short with Mickey Mouse
* Two Sing-along songs
* Set-top game
* "One Hour in Wonderland" documentary (60 min.)
* "An Alice Comedy: Alice's Wonderland" featurette (8 min.)
* "Operation Wonderland" featurette (11 min.)
* Excerpt from "The Fred Warring Show" (30 min.)
* Deleted Material Featurettes: "From Wonderland to Never Land," "Song Demos," Deleted Storyboard Concept: Alice Daydreams in the Park"
* Original Walt Disney TV introductions and trailers
* Art galleries