New York, NY -- For the second straight year, Syfy will serve as tour guide to Halloween in New York City with its imaginative 31 Days of HalloweeNYC, a multi-media, on-the-ground partnership with NYC & Company, the city’s official marketing, tourism and partnership organization.
To expand Syfy’s annual 31 Days of Halloween programming spook-a-thon into the streets of New York, the channel will unleash a rocking three-day Syfy Halloween NYC Fest in Manhattan’s Flatiron Plaza featuring music to face painting, along with a first time retail partnership with Spirit Halloween and support of 14 New York City Parks Department holiday events from Pooch Parade to Shocktoberfest and the annual Central Park Pumpkin Festival.
As well, 31 Days of HalloweeNYC will enrich the ghoulish experience with a National Flyaway Sweepstakes, a comprehensive guide to city-wide activities and a GetGlue Social Media Sweepstakes.
For the fourth consecutive year, The Hershey Company will serve as category-exclusive advertising partner of 31 Days, and in 2012 they’ve expanded their partnership to be truly multiplatform, including presence on-air and on Syfy.com throughout the month. In addition, Hershey brands will be featured on-ground at various 31 Days of HalloweeNYC events. And, for the second straight season, they will also sponsor Syfy sister network Chiller’s October Movie Madness, with customized vignettes tied to the channel’s original programs Dead Souls (Friday, October 12 at 9PM) and The American Scream (premieres Sunday, October 28 at 8PM).
Chiller, the only cable channel devoted to delivering viewers round-the-clock scares, will also sponsor the well-known New York City haunted house, Blood Manor.
Said Michael Engleman, Executive Vice President, Marketing and Global Brand Strategy, Syfy and Chiller: “Once again, Syfy is thrilled to work with NYC & Company to bring this rich selection of family friendly events throughout the five boroughs. With support by long-time advertising partner Hershey’s, we will imagine a greater Halloween celebration for both city residents and tourists. ”
Said George Fertitta, CEO of NYC & Company “Thousands of New Yorkers and visitors gather each year in New York City to celebrate Halloween. Every year, the holiday generates excitement across the five boroughs and showcases New York City’s vibrant atmosphere. 31 Days of HalloweeNYC offers an array of unique experiences for every age and interest all month-long.”
Highlights of Syfy’s 31 Days of HalloweeNYC
- Syfy Halloween NYC Fest -- Syfy Halloween NYC Fest will bring the best of the Halloween holiday to Flatiron Plaza (Broadway between 22nd and 23rd Streets) October 26-28, 11am–6pm. Free events, named after popular Syfy programs, will be offered during the three day celebration including a Hot Set Hands-On Craft Station, Ghost Hunters Goodies Snack Station, green-screen Paranormal Witness Photo Booth, a Face Off face painting booth where guests will be transformed from the ordinary to the extraordinary, and performances by Princess Katie and Racer Steve, Apple Seeds-Songs for Seeds, The Amazing Max and the Gazillion Bubble Show, among others.
- NYC Parks Events -- Syfy will sponsor 14 NYC Parks Department Halloween programs across the City including haunted houses in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island, the Pooch Parade and Howl-o-ween, Thriller at the Battery, and Shocktoberfest.
- Spirit Halloween – As part of the promotion, all NYC Spirit Halloween retailers will show Syfy branding and counter collateral. During October, consumers can take advantage of a Syfy Spirit Coupon for 20 percent off one item at any Spirit store nationwide. Plus, Spirit has created the “Syfy Picks” webpage, where costumes selected by Syfy will be posted.
- Syfy Digital – Don’t miss an event around the city or on Syfy with its 31 Days of Halloween calendar at syfy.com/halloween. The site provides details about special seasonal events around New York City along with a full schedule of shows such as Face Off, Hot Set, Alphas, Haven, and Syfy Original Movies. Users can also enter to win and download exclusive coupons for their Halloween shopping.
- Syfy Social – For the GetGlue Social Media Sweepstakes, users who check in to either four airings of one show in the 31 Days of Halloween Promotion or four 31 Days of Halloween programs will receive a special sticker, automatically entering them into the 31 Days of Halloween sweepstakes. The grand prize winner will receive an NBC Store Prize package. Syfy Sync will continue throughout October for Face Off, including the October 31 live finale. Fans can vote for the winner via Syfy Sync as well.
- Central Park Pumpkin Festival – At the October 27 Central Park Pumpkin Festival, Syfy will host a dedicated pumpkin decorating booth. Other activities at the festival include arts & crafts, hayrides, haunted house, marionette show, face painting and musical entertainment.
- National Flyaway Sweepstakes – After the success of last year’s sweepstakes, which drew nearly 100K entries, this year’s Sweepstakes has been expanded to include a full Halloween-style makeover from Spirit Halloween along with round trip airfare on Jet Blue to New York; a two night stay at Yotel Hotel, and VIP seating at the famous Village Halloween Parade.
- HalloweeNYC Guide – A full color guide to all of the exciting Halloween activities in the city will be inserted in Time Out New York’s October 3 issue, as well as distributed at the NYC Info Center and Halloween events throughout New York.
- Outdoor Media – Syfy will blanket the city with an extensive outdoor media campaign from bus shelters, pole banners, newsstands and phone kiosks to Taxi TVs.
Among Syfy’s 31 Days of Halloween programming highlights (October 1-31) will be:
- PARANORMAL WITNESS -- Wednesday, October 3 at 10PM – Paranormal Witness presents a special 90-minute episode about one of the most well-known cases of alien abduction ever recorded – the famed 1975 abduction (and reappearance) of Arizona logger Travis Walton.
- AMERICAN HORROR HOUSE -- Saturday, October 13 at 9PM – On Halloween night, a sorority house is overrun with ghosts, while a vengeful housemother goes on a killing spree. The American Horror House Original Movie stars Morgan Fairchild and Alessandra Torresani.
- HAVEN -- Friday, October 26 at 10PM – In this special Halloween episode directed by Jason Priestley, Audrey (Emily Rose), Nathan (Lucas Bryant) and Duke (Eric Balfour) and the others are lured to an infamous Haven haunted house on Halloween – and become trapped inside.
- RISE OF THE ZOMBIES -- Saturday, October 27 at 9PM – Survivors of a zombie plague escape their island refuge (Alcatraz) when it’s overrun, risking the outside world to find a scientist who is rumored to have found a cure for the disease. The Rise of the Zombies Original Movie stars Mariel Hemingway, LeVar Burton, Danny Trejo and French Stewart.
- SCARE TACTICS -- Premieres Monday, October 29 from 7:00-10:30PM – Host Tracy Morgan returns for this special marathon of all-new episodes of Scare Tactics, the hidden camera show with a sci-fi twist that pulls outrageous pranks on unsuspecting friends and family. In the season premiere, singer/actress Brooke Hogan makes her Scare Tactics debut as a ravenous zombie.
- VIRAL VIDEO SHOWDOWN -- Premieres Tuesday, October 30 at 10PM – From 495 Productions, the producers of Jersey Shore, and hosted by Kevin Pereira (Attack of the Show) Viral Video Showdown features the greatest viral video creators on the planet going head-to-head in an epic battle for bragging rights and a cash prize. Each week two teams will have to dig deep into their bag of viral tricks to create a video that best captures that week’s theme and impresses the expert panel of viral video judges.
- FACE OFF LIVE FINALE -- Wednesday, October 31 at 10PM – Face Off unveils its first live broadcast from Los Angeles on Halloween night. America’s voice will be heard as viewers will make the final choice for the Season 3 champion via a live voting feature that will be available immediately following the October 30 episode.