The fourth season of the Peabody Award-winning animated series The Boondocks premiered Monday, April 21, 10:30 p.m. as the network’s most-watched primetime telecast in five years among adults 18-34, 18-49 & 18-24; the most-watched original series premiere in the last six years among all targeted adults; and the most-watched telecast in 2014 to date across young adults 18-24, according to preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research.
The newest addition to Adult Swim’s top-rated Monday night prime time line-up of off-network (Family Guy, American Dad) and original comedies (Rick and Morty), The Boondocks also ranked as the #1 telecast of the day on all broadcast and cable television networks among adults 18-34 & 18-24, out-performing basic cable competition by significant triple digits, ranging between 113% and 760%. Compared to the same time period last year, The Boondocks earned across-the-board ratings and delivery growth ranging between 75% and 96%, as well as significant ratings/delivery gains over the previous four weeks’ average, ranging between 64% and 149%. Overall, The Boondocks attracted nearly three million viewers 2+, representing a 58% increase vs. last year’s time period.
Highlights of Adult Swim’s The Boondocks’ Season 4 premiere, including targeted demo delivery and ratings compared to the same 2013 time period, include the following:
- The Season 4 premiere attracted the largest adults 18-34, 18-49 & 18-24 audience for an original episode since the Nov. 16, 2008 premiere of Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode II
- The 10:30 p.m. Monday night telecast proved Adult Swim’s most-watched prime time performance in 5 years; the telecast also beat other competitive prime time programming among adults 18-34 including The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, 2 Broke Girls, Bones, NCIS: Los Angeles, the NBA Playoffs, The Blacklist and Castle.
- The Boondocks Season 4 premiere is the most-watched Adult Swim telecast 2014 to date among adults 18-24
- The Season 4 premiere out-delivered all three previous season premieres among adults 18-34, adults 18-49, men 18-34 and men 18-49, ranging between 12% and 128%.
- Adults 18-34 average delivery (1,401,000) increased by 78%, and ratings (2.1) by 75%
- Adults 18-49 average delivery (1,873,000) increased by 88%, and ratings (1.5) also by 88%
- Adults 18-24 average delivery (844,000) increased by 96%, and ratings (2.9) by 93%
- Men 18-34 average delivery (788,000) increased by 79%, and ratings (2.3) by 77%
- Men 18-49 average delivery (1,034,000) increased by 94%, and ratings (1.6) by 78%
- Men 18-24 average delivery (457,000) increased by 87%, and ratings (3.1) by 82%
- Total Viewers 2+ average delivery (2,991,000) increased by 58%, and ratings (1.0) by 43%
In the award-winning animated series The Boondocks, Robert “Granddad” Freeman is the legal guardian of his rambunctious grandkids and has moved them from the south side of Chicago to the quiet and safety of “The Boondocks” (in this case, suburban Woodcrest), hoping that he can ignore them altogether and enjoy the golden years of his life in peace. The series is produced by Sony Pictures Television and features the voice talent of Regina King (Southland), John Witherspoon (Friday After Next), Anthony Williams (Boston Legal), Gabby Soleil (Johnson Family Vacation), Jill Talley (Camp Lazlo), and Cedric Yarbrough (Reno 911!). The Boondocks airs on Mondays at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT on Adult Swim.
Source: Adult Swim