BURBANK, CA – The International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood, announces its new Rules & Categories for the 40th Annual Annie Awards. The Annie Awards are recognized by the entertainment industry as the highest and most prestigious honor given in animation by the animation industry.
This year’s ceremony is set for Saturday, January 26, 2013 at UCLA’s Royce Hall.
Changes to the Rules & Categories this year include:
- AchievementAwards for Television are now referred to as Television/Broadcastand include not only generaltelevision and cable programming, but also internet, mobile, home video,educational and other venues, excluding theatrical feature films;
- Individuals or Teams may be entered in all Achievement categoriesother than Character Animation (feature and television/broadcast) andVoice Acting (feature and television/broadcast);
- Digital submissions will be in QuickTime Movie format only and willbe used, in whole or in part, both for the nomination judging and votingprocesses. Exceptions or additionsto QuickTime submissions (i.e. paper submissions) will be noted forspecific award categories with specific mechanical requirements. Digitalsubmissions in other than QuickTime formats will be subject to additional conversion charges;
- From the slate of eligible submissions, each Production andAchievement Category will be allowed a maximum of eight (8) to a minimumof three (3) nominated selections. If, during the nomination process, acategory receives less than three (3) nominees, the category may, at thediscretion of the ASIFA-Hollywood Board of Directors, be removed from theballot;
- The“Member’s Favorite” feature film award has been replaced in favor of a new“Winsor McCay Member’s Choice Award.” All ASIFA members, worldwide, both professional andnon-professional, shall be eligible to vote for the new McCay Award via aspecial ballot which will be made available on the Annie Awards website, www.annieawards.org. Other annualWinsor McCay Awards will continue to be chosen through the usual juriedprocess;
- Projectsthat have either not been released to the public or screened for themembership of ASIFA-Hollywood by October 14, 2012, must be made availablefor screening by the members of the nominating committees or, if materialsare not readily available for judging, late released productions may, atthe production’s discretion, be held for judging during the 41st Awardcycle;
- New AnnieAward categories include: Best Student Production and the Winsor McCayMember’s Choice Award.
Entries submitted for consideration will be from productions that were released in the United States between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012. The official ‘Call for Entries’ will begin on Monday, September 3, 2012. Additional details and all key deadlines for the 40th Annual Annie Awards may be found at www.annieawards.org. The deadline to receive submissions and materials is Sunday, October 14, 2012 by
5 p.m. The deadline to join ASIFA-Hollywood or to renew membership in order to participate in the Annie Awards voting is Sunday, November 4, 2012. Membership information may be found at www.asifa-hollywood.org.
ASIFA-Hollywood is the world’s first and foremost professional organization dedicated to promoting the art of animation and celebrating the people who create it. ASIFA-Hollywood is the largest chapter of the international ASIFA organization, supporting a wide range of animation activities and preservation efforts through its membership. Current initiatives include the Animation Archive, animation film preservation, special events, classes and screenings.
Created in 1972 by veteran voice talent June Foray, the Annie Awards have grown in scope and stature for the past four decades.