In celebration of the 75th anniversary of Superman, Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment reveal plans for a new animated short produced by Zack Snyder.
In celebration of the 75th anniversary of Superman, Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment have revealed plans befitting one of the most popular and enduring Super Heroes of all time.
To honor Superman—the world’s first Super Hero—for reaching such an incredible milestone, the companies are kicking off a year of celebration including a new commemorative Superman 75th anniversary logo as well as an animated short tribute chronicling the rich 75-year history of the character.
First appearing in the comic book Action Comics #1, dated June 1938, Superman quickly became a cultural icon, winning fans around the world in live-action and animated form in nearly every known entertainment medium. In feature films, TV shows, radio, video games, publishing and merchandise, he has battled some of the greatest villains ever created in his endless pursuit of truth, justice and the American way.
“Warner Bros. is privileged to be home to the global Superman brand, which has had an unparalleled impact on popular culture for 75 years,” stated Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment, in making the announcement. “We are proud to commemorate this milestone with exciting entertainment across the entire Studio and across the globe, ensuring this enduring icon reaches new generations of audiences.”
DC Entertainment and the Studio’s various divisions, including Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Television, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Consumer Products, will mark this extraordinary anniversary with a range of highly anticipated events and products, kicking off with the release of the much anticipated summer-blockbuster Man of Steel.
The new animated short, currently in production, is being produced by Zack Snyder and pays homage to Superman and many iterations of the Super Hero throughout his 75 years. A sneak peek of this short is planned for Comic-Con International: San Diego in July and the finished version will debut late summer.
The new commemorative logo takes its cue from the iconic Superman costume, featuring predominantly blue coloring with a splash of red and highlights a bold silhouette of the Man of Steel with his cape waving behind him and the block-style lettering of “75 Years.” The mark will be rolled out by all the divisions on Superman-related promotions, products and initiatives. DC Entertainment will be the first to feature the new logo on the upcoming Superman Unchained comic book by artist Jim Lee and writer Scott Snyder, on sale Wednesday, June 12.
“Superman is undeniably the greatest Super Hero in the world and likely the most influential comic book character of all time,” according to Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment. “In addition to being an enduring presence in pop culture for the last 75 years, he continues to be a commanding global icon. DC Entertainment and all of Warner Bros. look forward to celebrating this important, year-long anniversary for Superman.”
In tandem with the various special celebrations comes the release of this summer’s tent pole action adventure feature Man of Steel, opening in theaters nationwide June 14.
Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, stated, “Superman is a larger-than-life figure, making the big screen the perfect place to experience his adventures, and Man of Steel delivers with first rate story-telling that is broadly entertaining. It couldn’t be more fitting that the centerpiece of our summer slate hits theaters during this commemorative year.”
“It’s a great honor for all of us involved into carry on the tradition of Superman for longtime fans as well as a new generation of moviegoers,” director Zack Snyder said. “I’m so excited to share the movie with them and to be a part of this celebration.”
Superman enthusiasts can also look forward to much more, including:
- Injustice: Gods Among Us, a new fighting game franchise that allows players to experience thepower, gadgetry and unparalleled strength of some of the most popular DC ComicsSuper Heroes and Super-Villains such as Superman and Lex Luthor, was releasedon April 16 from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
- Superman: Unbound, an all-new DC UniverseAnimated Original Movie that pits Superman against Brainiac—a devastating forceof flesh and machine with Earth squarely in his sights—was released on May7 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.
- Man of Steel and Superman products are available for fans of all ages, includingtoys, costumes, apparel, party goods and publishing from Warner Bros. ConsumerProducts.
- “Superman Unchained,”the much anticipated new comic book series that centers on a mystery that isfrustrating the hero in both the Superman and Clark Kent aspects of his identityultimately revealing a brand-new villain, debuts on June 12 from DC Entertainment.
- Infinite Crisis, an all-new multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game that deliversa heart-pounding competitive player vs. player battle experience set in thelegendary DC Multiverse, a world in which familiar DC Comics characters suchas Superman have been reimagined in startling ways, debuts in fall of 2013from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
- “DC Nation” SupermanShorts, a series of all-new Superman-themed animated shorts produced by WarnerBros. Animation and airing on Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block throughoutthe year.
- DC Entertainment’s“We Can Be Heroes” giving campaign launches its second crowdfunding initiativein June focused on Superman and featuring one-of-a-kind experiences and limitededition merchandise to engage, excite and empower legions of fans. Get somethinggood. Do something great.
To stay up-to-date on all things Superman and the celebration activities, visit www.Superman75.com.
Source: Warner Bros. Entertainment