Each week, Animation World Magazine offers new articles, specialfeatures and theme-based coverage of the art, craft and industry ofanimation. New this week:
- No LAAF-ing MatterMartin "Dr. Toon" Goodman takes on LAAFs, or Live-Action Animated Features, with a vengeance. How come Hollywood insists on making these flops!?
- Lille, France: Hotbed of the NorthIn the unsuspecting town of Lille, lies some of the most cutting-edge Web animation companies in the world...and what's more...they are all working together to create an environment of exploration and innovation. Tony Coates and Franck Levis explain
- Beyond The Majors: Independent Animation Feature ProductionAs technologies improve and the market for animated features becomes more broad and active, animated feature production outside of the major U.S. studios is on the rise. Here we discuss funding, distribution and more with four studios currently taking the plunge.
- Animation's Brick and Mortar: The Talents of Maurice NobleDana J. Lamb commemorates Maurice Noble and what he means to the animation community and our sense of heritage.
- The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide To Japanese Animation Since 1917Alan Neal reviews the latest book to attempt to capture, and make sense, of anime's numerous titles.
- Faith Hubley RememberedJohn Canemaker remembers his friend and associate Faith Hubley, whose inspiration ranged far wider than her magical, Oscar-winning filmed images.