Each week, Animation World Magazine offers new articles, special features and theme-based coverage of the art, craft and industry of animation. New this week:
- Speaking For Zimself: A Conversation With Jhonen Vasquez Martin"Dr. Toon" Goodman invades the mind of Jhonen Vasquez, the creator of Invader Zim, to discuss Zim, Jhonen's ideas and inspirations, and the ups and downs of producing his first animated series.
- Monsters, Inc.: The Secret Behind Why Pixar Is So GoodKarl Cohen meets the key players behind Pixar's latest, Monsters Inc., and describes why there is that certain Pixar magic...it is technology, amazing story and animation teams, amazing directors and tradition and something else...
- The Spectacular Hi-Fi/Low-Fi Sounds and Images of Studio FilmTecknarnaArmed with diverse styles and techniques, a knowledge and love of music, smart, subversive wit and a desire to innovate - one never knows what to expect from Sweden's Studio FilmTecknarna, just that it will probably be visually and aurally riveting, while offering some food for thought. Contains QuickTime movie clips!
- Far Beyond The Traditional Cel: Innovative TechniquesJoan Kim interviews Nina Paley, Michèle Cournoyer, Stephen X. Arthur, Kirsten Winter, Mikk Rand and Richard Reeves about their filmmaking techniques and learns that there is more than one way to make a picture move frame by frame. Contains QuickTime movie clips!
- Pierre Hébert and Animation in The Age of Digital ReproductionAs technology evolves, is independent animation being left behind? These and other concerns are currently being addressed by Pierre Hébert. Contains QuickTime movie clips!