Dan Glass to Present Cloud Atlas at VIEW
TURIN, ITALY -- VIEW conference director Maria Elena Gutierrez announced that senior visual effects supervisor Dan Glass of Method Studios will give a world premiere presentation on the feature film Cloud Atlas. Directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer, the Warner Bros. release received a 10-minute standing ovation at its Toronto Film Festival premiere. Cloud Atlas is scheduled for wide release beginning in late October.
“We’re thrilled that Dan Glass is coming to Torino to present the visual effects work on this innovative film,” Gutierrez says. “Dan’s brilliant career in visual effects has included supervising work on Tree of Life, Batman Begins, and the Matrix sequels, so he has much to share with us. He joins a stellar list of speakers this year at what promises to be a deeply rewarding conference.”
Other notable additions to the speaker’s list include:
- Tristan Oliver, Cinematographer for ParaNorman - Tristan was the cinematographer at Laika studios for ParaNorman, a 3D stop frame feature. His 24-year career as a cinematographer includes a long collaboration with director Nick Park at Aardman Studios (Academy award winners, Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave) and the Oscar-nominated The Fantastic Mr. Fox.
- Habib Zargarpour, Creative Director for Microsoft Studios - Having received two Oscar nominations and two BAFTA awards for his visual effects work on feature films, Zargarpour left that world and joined Electronic Arts where, as senior art director, he received a Visual Effects Society award for the effects in Need for Speed Most Wanted. He’ll speak on Virtual Production: Games vs. Film.
- Sirio Quintavalle, Visual Effects Supervisor, Framestore, on Sherlock Holmes II - After working on the award-winning television series Walking with Dinosaurs, Quintavalle joined the feature film department at Framestore. His credits now include Harry Potter, The Golden Compass, The Dark Knight, and Where the Wild Things Are.
- Henrik Fett, LOOK Effects Founder and Senior Visual Effects Supervisor - Fett will share his view of the future of visual effects from a business point of view. His talk is titled, “Evolution: Growing the VFX Business Model to Meet Changing Times.”
- Erminio Pinque, Performer and Director BIG NAZO lab - Pinque teaches “Creature-Creation” in the Film, Animation, and Video Department of the Rhode Island School of Design. His students build creatures with an experimental 3-D fabrication process that pushes the boundaries of puppet, mask and costume design.
These outstanding experts in their fields join a remarkable roster of speakers that include director Genndy Tartakovsky presenting the Italian premiere of footage from Sony Pictures’ Hotel Transylvania, writer/director Eric Darnell, who directed all three Madagascar films created at PDI/DreamWorks, seven-time Academy Award winning sound designer Gary Rydstrom from Skywalker Sound, broadcast television director Dan Attias, Partysaurus Rex director Mark Walsh from Pixar Animation Studios, HALO creative director Josh Holmes, who will premiere HALO 4, and Bit Films founder Chris Perry.
Oscar winner Paul Franklin from Double Negative will present work on The Dark Knight Rises, Jason Smith, associate visual effects supervisor at Industrial Light & Magic will present on The Avengers, and David Schaub, animation supervisor at Sony Pictures Imageworks will present on The Amazing Spider-Man.
“We are blessed that such wonderful speakers are coming to Torino,” Gutierrez says. “I am so excited about our program. We have sessions that will help professionals improve their business and their art. We have practical workshops for students and professionals. We have the debut of VIEW’s Creative Bootcamp in which participants will collaborate with feature film directors, videogame creative directors, sound designers, animators, and artists to imagine and invent the world of 2025. And, we have sessions that will inspire everyone to imagine the future.”