At a press conference formally confirming director Hayao Miyazaki's retirement, Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki reveals that the studio is at work on a new feature planned for release next summer.
At a press conference on Friday, Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki revealed that the famed Japanese animation studio plans to release its next feature next summer, according to a report by the Anime News Network. No other details were revealed about the film, which is reportedly still in production.
Director Hayao Miyazaki also spoke at the event, held to confirm his retirement, which was first announced last week at the Venice film festival. “I think people are thinking, 'Oh, he's saying he's going to retire again,' but this time, I am serious,” he said. Miyazaki also revealed that although he has enjoyed his work as an animator on multiple occasions, he has never been happy to be a director, since he has to make lots of decisions.
Miyazaki said his “rest” will not look like rest for others. “When I work on something I like, the work becomes the rest I want. When I sleep, I cannot rest.” He mused about volunteering at the Ghibli Museum, and joked that he himself might become an exhibit there.
He also insisted that the idea for The Wind Rises, his 11th and final feature film, was not inspired by 2011's earthquake, as the idea was conceived before the disaster happened. In response to some negative reactions in Korean and Japanese media toward the film, Miyazaki said, “It's a militaristic setting, and I think there are lot of opinions... However, I think you won't understand the film unless you watch it. Buy a ticket and go see it. Don't just spout opinions without basis.”