The Computer Animation Festival jury for SIGGRAPH 2006 selected 97 films and two award winners from 726 entries for exemplary use of computer-generated imagery and animation and compelling storytelling.
The SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival is an internationally recognized event that engages and inspires artists and technologists alike. Each year, it serves as a mirror of what is possible today and a window into what can be achieved in the future.
"Word is out that the Computer Animation Festival is one of the premier venues for showcasing artistic talent in the film world. In fact, we witnessed a remarkable 25% increase in submissions from 2005 to 2006, and with that increase the competition amongst films is fierce," stated Terrence Masson, the SIGGRAPH 2006 Computer Animation Festival chair from Digital Fauxtography Inc. "The bar of excellence has risen even higher and this year's crop of accepted pieces is diverse, thought-provoking, and technically superb."
SIGGRAPH 2006 will be held in Boston, Massachusetts, July 30-Aug. 3.
The Electronic Theater, held in the Grand Ballroom of the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, will hold screenings July 31 (7:00-9:00 pm), Aug. 1 (1:30-3:30 pm and 7:00-9:00 pm) and Aug. 2 (1:30-3:30 pm and 7:00-9:00 pm).
The Electronic Theater program includes:
* 458NM (Special Jury Honors)GermanyDirectors: Jan Bitzer, Ilija Brunck, Tom WeberFilmakademie Baden-Württemberg
* A GREAT BIG ROBOT FROM OUTER SPACE ATE MY HOMEWORKCanadaDirector: Mark ShirraVancouver Film School
* BRUSHU.K.Director: Lei Chen Bournemouth University
* BUBBLE GIRLU.S.Directors: Marie Hyon, Marco SpierPSYOP Inc.
* CARLITOPOLISFranceDirector: Luis NietoENSAD
* Dairy Crest "Cityside"U.K.Director: Dom & Nic (Outsider Films)Framestore CFC
* DISCORD: METAL AND MEAT U.S.Director: Stephan LarsonNorthern Michigan University
* DOLL FACEU.S.Director: Andy Huang
* EVERYONE'S HERO selected sequencesU.S.Directors: Dan St. Pierre, Colin BradyIDT Ent.
* FLOWGermanyDirector: Stephan TrojanskyScanline Production
* Foster's Australia BIG ADAustraliaDirector: Paul MiddleditchAnimal Logic
* GROWTH BY AGGREGATION 2 (the Utah variation)U.S.Director: Andy Lomas
* Guinness NOITULOVEU.K.Director: Daniel Kleinman (Kleinman Prods.) Framestore CFC
* ILM 2006 U.S.Director: Brent BowersIndustrial Light & Magic
* INSANELY TWISTED SHADOW PUPPETS - 12 INTERSTITIALSCanadaDirector: Michel GagneSketchbook Animation Studios
* INTO PIECESBrazilDirector: Guilherme Marcondes
* KING KONG: "VFX BREAKDOWN"New ZealandDirector: Joe LetteriWeta Digital Ltd.
* KING KONG: "IN A NEW YORK MINUTE"New ZealandDirector: Chris WhiteWeta Digital Ltd.
* MONSTER FARM 5 CIRCUS CARAVANJapanDirector: Goh FujitaDigital Media Lab. Inc.
* MONSTER HOUSE: THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOODU.S.Director: Jay ReddSony Pictures Imageworks
* MONSTER SAMURAIU.S.Director: Moto SakakibaraSprite Animation Studios
* MY DATE FROM HELLGermanyDirectors: Tim Weimann, Tom BrachtInstitute of Animation, Visual Effects and Digital Postproduction
* NOGGINU.S.Director: Alex CannonBrigham Young University
* ONE MAN BANDU.S.Directors: Mark Andrews, Andrew JimenezPixar Animation Studios
* ONE RAT SHORT (Best of Show winner)U.S.Director: Alex WeilCharlex
* OPEN SEASON: SEPARATING THE TREES FROM THE FORESTU.S.Director: Doug IkelerSony Pictures Imageworks
* RACING BEATSGermanyDirectors: Alexander Kiesl, Steffen HackerInstitute of Animation, Visual Effects and Digital Postproduction
* REXONA GO WILDU.K.Director: Noam Murro (Biscuit Filmworks)Framestore CFC
* Robin Hood Flour - GIVINGCanadaDirector: Richard RosenmanRed Rover Studios
* THE BUILDINGFranceDirector: Eric RiewerGobelins L'Ecole de L'Image
* THE INNER LIFE OF THE CELL (Excerpt)U.S.Director: John LieblerXVIVO LLC
* Toohey's "WAR OF THE APPLIANCES"AustraliaDirector: Graeme BurfootAnimal Logic
* Toyota METEORU.S.Director: Baker SmithMethod
* TREAD SOFTLYU.S.Director: Heebok LeeCarnegie Mellon University
* Vodafone "MAYFLY"U.K.Directors: Darren Walsh, Peter ThwaitesPassion Pictures
* WARHAMMER: MARK OF CHAOS INTRO CINEMATICHungaryDirector: Istvan ZorkoczyDigic Pictures
* WOJNAGermanyDirector: Agnieszka KruczekInstitute of Animation, Visual Effects and Digital Postproduction
The Animation Theaters will be held in Rooms 104 & 107, July 30 (1:00-6:00 pm), July 31 (9:00 am-6:00 pm), Aug. 1 (9:00 am -6:00 pm), Aug. 2 (9:00 am-6:00 pm) and Aug. 3 (9:00 am-5:00 pm).
The Animation Theaters program includes:
* 3D ILLUSION IN MOTIONSingaporeDirector: Yee Siong LeowSIGGRAPH Singapore
* AAL IM SCHÄDELGermanyDirector: Martin RahmlowFilmakademie Baden-Württemberg
* AT THE END OF THE STRINGFranceDirector: Amandine PecharmanGobelins, l'ecole de l'image
* BELOVEDU.K.Director: Alex WilkieNational Centre for Computer Animation
* BOXCanadaDirector: Stephen Crowhurst NAKD
* CALIDRIU.S.Director: Brian EvansUniversity of Alabama
* CAPSGermanyDirectors: Moritz Mayerhofer, Jan LocherFilmakademie Baden-Württemberg
* COLOR DREAM NO. 246U.S.Director: Michael TheodoreUniversity of Colorado
* DELIVERYGermanyDirector: Till NowakframeboX
* DO ROBOTS DREAM OF BUNNIES?U.S.Director: Piotr KarwasDigital Domain Inc.
* FERTILIZER SOUPFranceDirector: Sylvain MarcGobelins, l'ecole de l'image
* FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDRENJapanDirector: Tetsuya NomuraSquare Enix Co., Ltd.
* FLIGHT PATTERNSU.S.Director: Aaron KoblinUniversity of California, Los Angeles Design|Media Arts
* FLUID ANIMATION WITH DYNAMIC MESHESU.S.Director: Bryan KlingnerUniversity of California, Berkeley
* FOG (NIEBLA)SpainDirector: Emilio RamosUniversitat Pompeu Fabra
* FUTURE SKYCanadaDirector: John DubinskiUniversity of Toronto
* GATORADE SHATTEREDU.S.Director: Brian BeleticDigital Domain Inc.
* GEZ "THE BLACK SHEEP"GermanyDirector: Peter SpansSpans & Partner GmbH
* GNAP GNAPFranceDirectors: Olivier Daube, Sonia DesMichelis, Wilfried Pain, Bertrand Piocelle Jean-Vincent SalesGobelins, l'ecole de l'image
* GOOD IS GOODU.S.Directors: Todd Mueller, Kylie MatulickPSYOP Inc
* GROWTH BY AGGREGATIONU.S.Director: Andy Lomas
* HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIREU.K.Director: Mike NewellFramestore CFC
* HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY - CinesiteU.K.Director: Garth JenningsCinesite
* IN SEARCH OF THE PUPPETEERU.S. Director: Chih-Ming ChangCalifornia Institute of the Arts
* Johnnie Walker "PAINTINGS"U.K.Director: Mandi StarkAardman Animation Ltd.
* K LIQUIDBelgium Director: Rizon Parein
* KUHFOGermanyDirector: Hannes Appell, Holger Wenzl
* KUNGFU GECKOSingaporeDirector: Nickson FongEgg Story Creative Production
* MEMORIALU.S.Directors: Matt Clausen, Jon GutmanUniversity of Southern California
* MOONGIRLU.S.Director: Henry Selick
* Motorola PEBLU.S.Director: David FincherDigital Domain Inc.
* MULTI-LAYERED CLOTH SIMULATIONU.S.Director: Anthony LaMolinaraWalt Disney Feature Animation
* MULTI-TOUCH INTERACTION RESEARCH Demo ReelU.S.Director: Jefferson Y. HanCourant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
* MUSASHINO PLATEAUJapanDirector: Nobuo TakahashiNagoya City University/Yoshida Gakuen
* Northwest Airlines TRANSFORMATIONSU.S.Director: Arman Matinrhinofx
* OH HISSEJapanDirector: Hikaru Yamakawa
* OPEN BOOKFranceDirectors: Iris Bonavittacola, Virginie Hanrigou, Raphal Lev, Carole Maurel, Augustin PaliardGobelins, l'ecole de l'image
* PETSHOPU.S.Director: Trenton HalvorsenBrigham Young University
* Planet One BARBEQUESpainDirector: Jorge Blancoilion animation studios S.L.
* QUEST FOR THE MYSTIC MOOGOO FRUIT!Iran Director: Ila Soleimani
* RACE CORNETTO APHRODIZIACMéxicoDirector: Javier GutiérrezCiberfilms SC
* RAMAFranceDirector: Eric Bruneton
* REAL BIRDS DON'T BARFGermanyDirector: Bernhard Haux
* REFLECTU.S.Director: Dennis H. MillerNortheastern University
* RELIGHTING HUMAN LOCOMOTIONU.S.Director: Paul DebevecUniversity of Southern California Centers for Creative Technologies
* Robin Hood Flour - MEMORIESCanadaDirector: Richard RosenmanRed Rover Studios
* SCIATICAU.K.Director: Peter NancolisNational Centre for Computer Animation
* SCOPEJapanDirector: Makoto YabukiTANGRAM
* SHARING BEARSU.S.Director: Steven FordCenter for Digital Imaging Arts, Boston University
* SNAKESSpainDirector: Cristóbal Vila
* SOLOMON GRUNDYU.S.Directors: Ken Seward, Chris MyersSavannah College of Art and Design
* SUBAU.K.Director: Alastair GrahamJellyfish Pictures
* THE AERONAUTU.S.Director: Nicholas Lombardo Ringling School of Art and Design
* THE FLYU.S.Director: HanJin SongRingling School of Art and Design
* THE MAGICBOXGermanyDirector: Alexander Beim
* THEROSU.K.Director: Georgios CherouvimNational Centre for Computer Animation
* TREIBGUTU.K.Director: Ruediger Kaltenhaeuser
* ToyArtist:PAPA&BABYSouth KoreaDirectors: Wooksang Chang, Jaemin Lee, Younghee Choi, Donghyuk Choi, Chigon Park, Hyejin Kim
* VW - SINGING IN THE RAINU.K.Director: N-EOThe Moving Picture Co.
* WALKING WITH MONSTERSU.K.Directors: Chloe Leland, Tim HainesFramestore CFC
For more information on the SIGGRAPH 2006 Computer Animation Festival, visit www.siggraph.org/s2006/main.php?f=conference&p=caf.
SIGGRAPH 2006 will bring an estimated 25,000 computer graphics and interactive technology professionals from six continents to Boston for the industry's most respected technical and creative programs focusing on research, science, art, animation, gaming, interactivity, education and the web. More than 250 international exhibiting companies are expected. Registration for the conference and exhibition is open to the public.
ACM SIGGRAPH, the leading professional society for computer graphics and interactive techniques, sponsors SIGGRAPH 2006. For more info, visit www.siggraph.org/s2006.