RE:Vision Effects announces Twixtor 6, a new version of Twixtor that allows users to create engaging slow motion shots without the cost of renting a high speed camera, and which features with GPU support for The Foundry Nuke and Assimilate Scratch.
RE:Vision Effects announced Twixtor 6 with GPU support for The Foundry Nuke and Assimilate Scratch. Create highly engaging slow motion shots with Twixtor without the cost of renting a high speed camera. In order to achieve its unparalleled image quality, Twixtor synthesizes unique new frames by warping and interpolating frames of the original sequence by employing RE:Vision's proprietary tracking technology that calculates motion for each individual pixel.
Speedups up to 4x on GPUs when using Twixtor within Nuke and Scratch have been measured over running Twixtor in CPU mode, already known for its speed. Speedups of this magnitude are usually seen with higher end cards. Note that most currently-sold GPUs will provide customers with needed acceleration, including many mobile GPUs for laptops. Of course, the total speedup end-users will see will vary once application overhead is taken into account: this includes disk I/O, internal host buffering schemes, bandwidth of PCIe bus, codec used for footage, etc.
Users are advised that their specific speedups are dependent on system configuration, specific GPU, and features of Twixtor that are used. Customers who have used Twixtor 5 should test the demo to make sure they will see the speedups they desire before upgrading to Twixtor 6.
- Twixtor v6 for OFX hosts only supports 64-bit host applications.
- Nuke 5.1v2 and up, or Assimilate Scratch v4 and up.
- For GPU support, the GPU driver must support OpenCL 1.1. On Windows, check with your manufacturer for updated drivers for your GPU, and make sure you have one that supports OpenCL 1.1. We recommend the latest drivers available.
- For Windows: Windows 7 or 8, 64-bit. Windows Vista support for CPU-only mode.
- For Macintosh. Mac OS 10.7 or 10.8 needed for GPU support, Mac OS 10.6 still supported for CPU mode. It is highly recommended that when on Macintosh to use Mac OS 10.8 or 10.9 for the GPU mode of Twixtor because the OpenCL drivers are more robust and run up to 30% faster than those of Mac OS 10.7. Macintosh OS 10.9 (Mavericks) is needed for Intel HD Graphics GPU support.
- For Linux: GPU with driver that supports OpenCL 1.1
Source: RE: Vision Effects
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.