The Producers Guild of America honors nine Innovators, Visionaries and Producers (V.I.P.) who have made significant contributions to the advancement of digital entertainment and storytelling in the past year.
Last week, the Producers Guild of America honored nine Innovators, Visionaries and Producers (V.I.P.) who have made significant contributions to the advancement of digital entertainment and storytelling in the past year. One hundred people gathered at the home of super innovator and entrepreneur Elon Musk (PayPal, Tesla Motors, SpaceX) in Bel-Air, CA for the inaugural “Digital V.I.P.” awards celebration. Guests included John Lasseter, Morgan Freeman, Mark Gordon (President of the Producers Guild of America), Bill Westenhofer and many more.
The first-ever ‘Digital V.I.P.’ honorees were:
those who have developed new methods or technology that enables the production of storytelling.
- Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, Co-Founders of Instagram
- Bill Westenhofer, Academy Award winning VFX supervisor for Rhythm & Hues Studios for “Life of Pi”
- Philip Atwell and Dylan Brown of Digital Domain for Virtual 2Pac
those who have brought forth new ideas about the creative application of technology to advance storytelling across all media.
- John Raatz (Founder, Board Chairman, CEO), Eckhart Tolle (Honorary Founder) and Jim Carrey (Honorary Founder) of The Global Alliance for Transformational Entertainment (GATE)
- Bruce Sterling, multi award winning science fiction author for his influence upon technology as it relates to storytelling and in co-founding the cyperpunk movement
those who have created content whose reach, execution and influence has advanced the audience experience.
- Disney Imagineering team and developers for Disney’s Cars Land
- Louis C.K., Emmy Award-winning stand-up comedian, writer, director, actor, producer for his show Louie and re-engineering the role of artist in entertainment distribution
- Ben Donovan ( President & Co-Founder), Danny Zappin (CEO & Co-Founder) and Lisa Donovan (GM & Co-Founder) of Maker Studios for pioneering the online multichannel network
- Conan O’Brien, Emmy Award winning television host and comedian for Team Coco digital experience
Source: Producers Guild of America
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.