OptiTrack announces the addition of two new motion capture cameras to the Prime Series which will be officially debuted at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
OptiTrack announced a pair of additions to its premier line of motion capture and tracking cameras - the Prime 13 and Prime 13W, which will publicly debut in the OptiTrack booth (#924) at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) held March 19-21, 2014 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, Calif.
Offering 40’ tracking range, 1.3 megapixel (MP) resolution, and 240 FPS capture rate, the Prime 13 is ideal for medium-sized motion tracking applications that require a blend of performance and affordability. The Prime 13W is an ultra-wide FOV variant specifically tuned for tracking almost every inch of smaller spaces, such as CAVEs, powerwalls, HMD environments, gait labs, and other compact installations.
Both models are equipped with signature Prime Series features, including industry-leading 3D precision, scalable Ethernet interface, fully infrared (IR) illumination, synchronized reference video mode with 3D overlay, an on-camera status indicator and Aim Assist technology for single user setup.
Motion capture specialists Imagination Studios – an outfit that has contributed to AAA titles such as the “Battlefield” franchise, the “Hitman” series and “Alan Wake” – is building the world’s first Prime 13 stage, which will be used for 3D animation and previs across entertainment projects.
“As existing users of the Insight VCS, our team at IMS has a high level of familiarity with and confidence in OptiTrack products,” said Andrew Hutchinson, Animation Manager at Imagination Studios. “We are delighted with the launch of the Prime 13, as this system fits precisely with our plans to further our capabilities and reach. The Prime 13 perfectly complements our existing setup, suiting a broader range of customers and budgets while still allowing us to continue providing our world-renowned quality and service.”
Key features and specs include:
- Prime 13: 56° × 45° FOV and 40’ range to marker
- Prime 13W: expansive 82° × 70° FOV, for exceptional coverage in compact setup areas
- 1.3 MP imager for 3D precision of 0.5mm at long ranges and 0.2mm in close proximity
- 240 FPS capture rate with global shutter for accurately capturing fast-moving objects
- Discreet 2.7” × 2.7” form factor and invisible 850nm IR
- Filter Switcher technology for alternating between IR and visible spectrum with a single mouse click
- Real-time MJPEG compression enables numerous cameras to operate in reference video mode, simultaneously
- On-camera RGB status indicator, for monitoring system health and activity
- Compatibility with S250e, Prime 41, and Prime 17W cameras, for expanding existing OptiTrack systems
- Genlock, SMPTE Time Code and external sync when used alongside the eSync
- Direct camera access for OEM integration via free Camera SDK
“Both the Prime 13 and Prime 13W models capture the essence of the Prime Series—best in class performance with a unique and innovative nod to usability—and deliver it at half the price of competing cameras in the same category,” said Jim Richardson, CEO of OptiTrack. “Our Prime 41 has been deployed on the largest and most capable performance capture stages around the world. The Prime 13 offers studios and labs the same caliber of engineering, specifically tuned for smaller setups and budgets. VR environments and other super compact spaces have a tailored offering as well, in the highly specialized Prime 13W.”
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.