The Ottawa International Animation Festival announces the finalists for the competition of Short Films for Kids and Series for Kids at this year’s festival, running September 17-21.
The Ottawa International Animation Festival (OIAF) has announced the finalists for the competition of Short Films for Kids and Series for Kids at this year’s Festival running September 17-21.
While last year's OIAF winner in Series for TV, Regular Show, returns with the hilarious “The Last Laserdisc Player,” France dominates the category with three submissions: Les Larmes du Crocodile by Agnés Lecreux, Steven De Beul & Ben Tesseur; La Bûche de Noël by Ben Tesseur, Vincent Tavier, Stéphane Aubier and Vincent Patar (Belgium & France); and Le Parfum de la carotte by Arnaud Demuynck and Rémi Durin.
Also competing in the Series category, the winner of the OIAF 2009 prize for Best Student Film, Angela Steffen, presenting her new series, Das Huhn auf meiner Schmusedecke (Patchwork Chicken).
The Short Films for Kids category includes films from nine countries. Among the highlights are Yulia Aronova's My Mom is an Airplane, Anatole's Little Saucepan by Eric Montchaud, and Serhiy Melnichenko's wondrous The Fish-Tailed Girl. American Anthony Dusko returns to OIAF competition with his short piece of absurd hilarity, Strawberry Girl finds a True Friend.
The judges for these two categories will be local children with ages between 8 and 11. Animation enthusiasts can apply for the Kids Jury contest by submitting a one-page essay about their favorite animation film/character, a video recording or an animation film using an iPad app.
The Short Films for Kids competition includes:
- My Mom is an Airplane by Yulia Aronova (Russia/USA)
- Spoon by Yikun Wang (Japan) • Zebra by Julia Ocker (Germany)
- La petite casserole d'Anatole (Anatole's Little Saucepan) by Eric Montchaud (France)
- Der kleine Vogel und das Eichhörnchen (The Little Bird and the Squirrel) by Lena von Döhren (Switzerland)
- Didochok zadumav zhenytisja (The Old Man Decided to Marry) by Yuriy Borysenko (Ukraine)
- Den magiske tiden (The Magic Time) by Kine Aune (Norway)
- Cowboydrøm (Cowboy Dream) by Lars Hegdal (Norway)
- Vol au Vent by Isabel Bouttens (Belgium)
- The Fish-Tailed Girl by Serhiy Melnichenko (Ukraine)
- Strawberry Girl Finds a True Friend by Anthony Dusko (USA)
The Series for Kids competition includes:
- Les Larmes du Crocodile by Agnés Lecreux
- Chomozem by Stepan Koval
- Das Huhn auf meiner Schmusedecke by Angela Steffen and Andreea Deppert
- La Bûche de Noël by Ben Tesseur
- Le Parfum de la carotte by Arnaud Demuynck & Rémi Durin (France & France)
- Regular Show “The Last Laserdisc Player” by JG Quintel
Kids competition this year had 160 entries for the short animation category and 75 entries for the series category.
Source: The Ottawa International Animation Festival
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.