Nickelodeon has launched TurboNick 2.0, its broadband video platform with new features including continuous video streaming, customized play lists, content in multiple languages, the ability to search the broad Nickelodeon content library and more.
Since its initial soft launch (Sept. 20 to Oct. 1), TurboNick 2.0 has generated close to 19 million content streams, an increase of +911% versus last year's equivalent time period, which is almost 10 times the amount of streams for the same time period in 2005. TurboNick 2.0 is averaging 236,000 daily unique visitors, a +489% increase over last year (source: Omniture SiteCatalyst). TurboNick is one of several multiplatform experiences that allow kids to access Nickelodeon content, joining its Video on Demand offerings on cable, podcasts, Nick Arcade, and video clips through wireless providers, among others. In third quarter 2006, Nickelodeon television took the lead across all kid and tween demos, and achieved record Video on Demand numbers (Source: Nielsen Media Research and Rentrak).
"In keeping with our philosophy of putting kids first in everything we do, we are thrilled to provide these unparalleled features on TurboNick 2.0 that will empower kids to take charge of their internet experience," said Stephen Youngwood, evp, digital media, Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids and Family Group. "TurboNick 2.0 not only provides a hub for our vast library of content, but allows kids to become 'programmers' and 'creators' in their own right."
TurboNick premiered as the first broadband player for kids in July 2005 to complement Nickelodeon's on-air programming, and initially featured 20 hours of new programming every week organized by "channels." TurboNick 2.0 is organized by content channels as well as by property icons. Users are able to search from a library of hundreds of long and short form videos of Nickelodeon favorites.
TurboNick 2.0 is also scheduled to rollout in international territories including Germany, Italy and the U.K. in late 2006/early 2007.
"With access to a vast library of great Nickelodeon content and unprecedented user flexibility, TurboNick 2.0 is keeping our audience connected with our programming like never before," said Tom Ascheim, evp/gm, Nickelodeon Television. "The applications we are creating for kids on the Internet are distinct and age appropriate. Whether it's creating their favorite AVATAR and MR. MEATY play lists, or mashing up SPONGEBOB clips to share with their friends, kids rule on TurboNick 2.0. We also plan to use kids' feedback and user generated content to inform what takes place on our air."
TurboNick 2.0 also provides appointment viewing for users with special content features like the "TEENick Extra Scoop." This "programming block" offers extras or behind-the-scenes content, sneak peeks at next week's new TEENick episodes, new games and more, in addition to the latest TEENick episodes immediately after they debut on-air.
Following are the new TurboNick 2.0 new features:
* Play lists a new option that allows users to drag and drop videos to create play lists, trade play lists with friends and send videos through links via email. With "My TurboNick," users can save their play lists or other's favorite play lists or videos.
* Nick Mash-ups Users create their own mini-movies using clips, stills and audio from videos within TurboNick 2.0, using provided graphics and transitions. These mash-ups can be displayed on TurboNick 2.0 or emailed to friends, or displayed on users' personalized Internet pages. Some content might even be chosen to air on Nickelodeon.
* User ratings Users are able to rate videos and the top rated videos become a category on TurboNick 2.0. Select videos will be highlighted editorially on the site.
* Search function allows users to search for their favorite videos from hundreds of videos from the Nick library by character or show.
* Games in TurboNick TurboNick 2.0 offers trivia, quizzes, sliders, memory games and other basic level casual gaming to play while the video player streams content. It will soon feature interactive video-related gaming, which will correlate directly with the property you are viewing.
* Skinnable designs the player will, in the future, be customizable with themes and color.
* TurboNick ToGo Select TurboNick 2.0 content will also be available for podcasting using the "TurboNick ToGo" feature, scheduled to rollout in the near future.
Nickelodeon, in its 27th year, is the #1 entertainment brand for kids. The company includes television programming and production in the U.S. and around the world, plus consumer products, online, recreation, books, magazines and feature films. Nickelodeon's U.S. television network is seen in more than 90 million households and has been the #1-rated basic cable network for more than eleven consecutive years. Nickelodeon is part of Viacom Inc.