Two Rankin/Bass Holiday Classics Have A Blu-Ray Christmas
Press Release from Warner Home Video
BURBANK, CA (August 10, 2010) – Two of television’s most beloved animated Christmas classics, The Year Without a Santa Claus and ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas will be released in brand new editions by Warner Home Video (WHV) on October 5, 2010. The Year Without a Santa Claus will be offered on Blu-ray™ hi-def format for the first time and will retail for $24.98 SRP. This release will come in a Blu-ray + DVD Pack which includes a Blu-ray and DVD. ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas will be released in a brand new deluxe edition and will retail for $19.97 SRP.
The Year Without a Santa Claus is the beloved 1974 Rankin/Bass stop motion animation television special that tells the story of the year Santa Claus (voiced by Mickey Rooney) decides to skip gift-giving and take a holiday, because he feels the children of the world have forgotten about him. Eager to help, Mrs. Claus (voiced by Shirley Booth) sends two spunky little elves, Jingle and Jangle, to search the world and find people who still believe in old St. Nick. She also enlists memorable characters, Heat Miser and his half brother Snow Miser, to help her bring Santa back to his good mood while she convinces them that Christmas is not just about presents. Jingle and Jangle in the meantime get themselves into quite a bit of trouble when their baby reindeer Vixen is mistaken for a dog and sent to the pound. Santa attempts to rescue Vixen and along the way learns that some people still believe in him. But it’s not until after he receives a letter from a little girl, who writes to him about having a blue Christmas, that Santa jumps back into action and makes his traditional delivery run on Christmas Eve.
Merry-making bonus features include:
* Rudolph’s Shiny New Year -- When the baby New Year named Happy goes missing, Father Time (voiced by Red Skelton) asks Rudolph to find him before midnight on New Year’s Eve.
* Nestor the Long-eared Christmas Donkey -- Back in the days of the Roman Empire, a small donkey named Nestor who is teased mercilessly about his abnormally long ears, becomes a hero when he is chosen by Mary and Joseph to take them to Bethlehem where Mary gives birth to baby Jesus.
* We are Santa’s Elves – A documentary focusing on the legacy of Arthur Rankin Jr. and Jules Bass of Rankin/Bass Productions, Inc. the production company known for creating several, memorable seasonal television specials.
* School of Stop Motion – Presents the Chiodo Brothers, modern day masters of stop motion animation as they introduce viewers to their studio and also to their craft via a by-step demonstration aimed at young people.
In the newly re-mastered, deluxe edition of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, for some unexplained reason, letters to Santa Claus are being returned to the children of Junctionville. It seems some resident has angered St. Nick, calling Christmas “a fraudulent myth!” Skeptical Albert Mouse has to be brought to his senses “and let up a little on the wonder why.” How Albert is persuaded to change his tune paves the way for Santa’s jolly return to town – and the joyous finale of the animated fable inspired by Clement Moore’s poem and produced by the merrymaking conjurers of Rankin/Bass Studios. The voice talents of Joel Grey, Tammy Grimes, John McGiver and George Gobel make this festive fable even more fun.
DVD bonus feature includes:
* Christmas: A Global Holiday – An animated comic book that explores Yuletide traditions around the world.
“Adults who grew up with these timeless Rankin/Bass specials can now share them with younger generations. These classics are to be cherished and enjoyed, and we are delighted to bring them to consumers,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Partner Brands Marketing. He added, “If you are a fan of Rankin/Bass animation, these are two titles you cannot miss having in your home entertainment collection.”
Other classic holiday animated titles available in stores now from WHV include Classic Christmas Favorites, How the Grinch Stole Christmas Deluxe Edition, A Miser Brothers’ Christmas, The Year Without a Santa Claus Deluxe Edition and Jack Frost Deluxe Edition.
About Warner Home Video