Registration for the Fall term 2005 at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects (Oct. 3 - Dec. 11) began Aug. 22. In addition, Side Effects Houdini joins the curriculum as the latest tools package.
* Artists interested in adding high-end effects capabilities may be interested in Introduction to Houdini Visual Effects in which instructor Garman Herigstad, production consultant at Side Effects Software, will introduce Houdinis procedural approach to 3D.
* Experienced professionals and neophyte matte painters interested in gaining insight from master matte painter Justin Brandstater, may sign up for the five-week matte painting workshop.
* Environment Design, taught by concept designer Igor-Alban Chevalier, aka The Black Frog, focuses on the techniques and thought process inherent to designing environments for the entertainment industry.
Gnomon also continues to offer nine one-week classes each term. Class is held 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, with a one-hour break for lunch. Tuition for one-week classes is $1,625. The schedule for one-week classes in the Fall Term is as follows.
* Introduction to Maya Oct. 3- 7
* Surface Modeling Oct. 10-14
* Polygon Modeling Oct. 17- 21
* Texture Mapping Oct. 24-28
* Lighting and Rendering Oct. 31-Nov. 4
* Animation and Visual Effects Nov. 7-11
* Character Kinematics Nov. 14-18
* Character Skinning Nov. 28Dec. 2
* Particles and Dynamics Dec 5-9
In addition to Herigstad and Brandstater, other new instructors include Chris Appelhans, the illustrator/concept artist who will co-teach character design along with Kazu Kibuishi, editor and creator of the FLIGHT comics anthology, and Khang Le, matte painter/production artist, NC Soft. Francis Glebas, who will teach storyboards, is director/storyboards & visual development/writer, formerly at Disneytoon Studios and Walt Disney Feature Animation.
Students can register online at www.gnomon3d.com, in person, via mail or by fax. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. If you would like to have a tour or get some advice on which courses to take, call (323) 466-6663 to make an appointment.
Gnomon School of Visual Effects (www.gnomon3d.com) is a professional institute specializing in training for visual effects for film, television and games. Located in the heart of Hollywood, it offers a full curriculum for individuals wanting careers in 3D, professionals in need of specialized training and custom training for production studios. Founded by Alex Alvarez in 1997, Gnomon is located at 1015 North Cahuenga Blvd., Suite 5430i, Hollywood, California, 90038.