Jay Leno and Whoopi Goldberg join voice cast in recurring roles.
Disney's The 7D, a contemporary, comedic take on the world of the Seven Dwarfs, will premiere Monday, July 7 (10:00 a.m., ET/PT) on Disney XD and will debut on Disney Channel and Disney Junior later this year. Joining the voice cast are Jay Leno and Whoopi Goldberg in the recurring roles of Crystal Ball and Magic Mirror, respectively. The series' previously announced voice cast includes Kelly Osbourne as the comically evil villain Hildy Gloom.
This June, Disney Publishing Worldwide will release "The 7D Mine Train" app, a side-scrolling adventure that introduces users to the re-imagined Seven Dwarfs and allows them to choose one of the characters to pilot a mine cart through a variety of Jollywood locales including the 7D's mine, the Gloom's Grotto and the Queen's Treasure Room, collecting gems along the way.
Set in the contemporary storybook world of Jollywood, The 7D follows brave little heroes Happy, Bashful, Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Grumpy and Doc as they work together to maintain order in the kingdom. Standing in their way are Grim and Hildy Gloom, a novice warlock and witch couple, who haplessly plot to dethrone the Queen and take over Jollywood.
In the premiere episode, "Long, Long Winter/Itsy Bitsy Spider Fighters," the 7D rescue the villagers of Jollywood from an eternal winter spell that the Glooms have cast on the kingdom and help Queen Delightful rid the castle of a pesky spider.
The multiplatform schedule includes the following:
Tuesday, June 17
- DisneyXD.com/7D will launch with a game where players can construct their own mine cart ride through the 7D's mine.
Monday, June 23
- The premiere episode of The 7D will be available as a Free Preview on iTunes.
Monday, July 7 (10:00 a.m., ET/PT)
- Television premiere of The 7D on Disney XD (10:00 a.m., ET/PT) with simulcast available to verified users on WATCHDisneyXD.com and the WATCH Disney XD app for smartphones and tablets; WATCH Disney XD releases seven 11-minute episodes for verified users.
- Disney Photo Finish app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch will introduce two new 7D-themed packs, "Starring Role" and stickers, which will allow users to customize their personal photos with 7D-themed artwork, specialty frames and filters to become one of the 7D in Jollywood.
Tuesday, July 8
- Premiere episode of The 7D will become available for download on iTunes, Xbox, Amazon and Google Play. New episodes will continue to be available on these platforms the day after their linear premiere.
In addition to Osbourne, The 7D stars the voices of Jess Harnell (Disney Junior's Sofia the First and Doc McStuffins) as Grim Gloom, Leigh-Allyn Baker (Disney Channel's Good Luck Charlie) as Queen Delightful, Disney Legend Bill Farmer (the voice of Goofy) as Doc, Maurice LaMarche (Pinky and the Brain) as Grumpy, Kevin Michael Richardson (Disney XD's Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja) as Happy, Dee Bradley Baker (Phineas and Ferb) as Dopey, Scott Menville (Teen Titans) as Sneezy, Stephen Stanton (Disney Junior's Doc McStuffins) as Sleepy, Billy West (Ren & Stimpy) as Bashful and Paul Rugg (Animaniacs) as Lord Starchbottom.
The series is executive produced by Emmy Award-winning Tom Ruegger (Animaniacs). Tom Warburton (Codename: Kids Next Door) serves as co-executive producer. Sherri Stoner (Pinky and the Brain) is the story editor and Alfred Gimeno (Tiny Toon Adventures), Jeff Gordon (Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks) and Charles Visser (Animaniacs) are the directors. Meme master Parry Gripp ("Do You Like Waffles?") is the songwriter and composer for the series and also performs the theme song. The series is a production of Disney Television Animation.
Source: Disney/ABC Television Group
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.