Activision Reports Losses
As one means of analyzing Activision Blizzard’s performance, the company presents data that combines (1) the company’s results after July 9, 2008, (2) Vivendi Games, Inc.’s results prior to July 10, 2008 and (3) Activision, Inc.’s results prior to July 10, 2008.
Management uses information prepared on this comparable basis internally to compare results and believes that this presentation provides investors with additional useful information to understand the company’s performance on a year-over-year comparable basis. However, the data is not presented in accordance with GAAP and is not presented in accordance with Article 11 of Regulation S-X relating to pro forma financial statements.
The non-GAAP information presented should be considered in addition to, not as a substitute for or superior to, financial measures determined in accordance with GAAP.
The following data is presented in the attachments to this press release:
* Non-GAAP Comparable Basis Segment Net Revenues for the quarters and years ended December 31, 2009 and 2008
* Non-GAAP Comparable Basis Segment Operating Income (Loss) for the quarters and years ended December 31, 2009 and 2008
In conjunction with the business combination, Activision Blizzard changed the manner in which senior management assesses the operating performance of, and allocates resources to, its operating segments. As a result, the company now operates in three segments:
1. Activision Publishing (“Activision”) -- publishes interactive entertainment software and peripherals, which includes the Activision business conducted by Activision, Inc. prior to the business combination and certain studios, assets, and titles previously included in Vivendi Games Inc.’s “Sierra Entertainment” operating segment prior to the business combination;
2. Blizzard -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Blizzard”) -- publishes traditional games and online subscription-based games in the MMORPG category; and
3. Activision Blizzard Distribution (“Distribution”) -- distribution of interactive entertainment software and hardware products.
With respect to periods prior to July 10, 2008, results for historical Activision, Inc. are reported in the Activision and Distribution segments. Prior to July 1, 2009, Activision Blizzard also presented a fourth segment, representing its non-core exit operations. These operations are now insignificant and no longer are presented as a separate operating segment. Therefore, all prior period segment information has been reclassified to conform to the current period’s presentation.
About Activision Blizzard
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Blizzard, Inc. is a worldwide online, PC, console and handheld game publisher with leading positions across every major category of the rapidly growing interactive entertainment software industry.
Activision Blizzard maintains operations in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, Russia, South Korea, China, and the region of Taiwan. More information about Activision Blizzard and its products can be found on the company's website, www.activisionblizzard.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements: Information in this press release that involves Activision Blizzard’s expectations, plans, intentions or strategies regarding the future, including statements under the heading “Company Outlook,” are forward-looking statements that are not facts and involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Activision Blizzard generally uses words such as “outlook,” “will,” “remains,” “to be,” “plans,” “believes,” “may,” “expects,” “intends,” and similar expressions to identify forward-looking statements.