Alias|Wavefront To Receive Oscar For Maya
Academy Awards for Scientific and Technical achievements for the year 2002 are:
ACADEMY AWARD OF MERIT (Oscar Statuette)
- Alias|Wavefront for the development of a 3D animation, dynamics, modeling and rendering production tool known as Maya.
- Arnold & Richter Cine Technik and to Panavision, Inc., for their continuing development and innovation in the design and manufacturing of advanced camera systems specifically designed for the motion picture entertainment industry.
SCIENTIFIC AND ENGINEERING AWARDS (Academy Plaque)
- Glenn Sanders and Howard Stark of Zaxcom for the concept, design and engineering of the portable Deva Digital Audio Disk Recorder.
- Mark Elendt, Paul Breslin, Greg Hermanovic and Kim Davidson for their continued development of the procedural modeling and animation components of their Prisms program, as exemplified in the Houdini software package.
- Leslie Gutierrez, Diane Kestner, James Merrill and David Niklewicz for the design and development of the Kodak Vision Premier Color Print Film, 2393.
- Dedo Weigert for the concept, Depu Jin for the optical calculations, and Franz Petters for the mechanical construction of the Dedolight 400D.
TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS (Academy Certificates)
- Dick Walsh for the development of the PDI/ Dreamworks Facial Animation System.
- Thomas Driemeyer and to the mathematicians, physicists and software engineers of Mental Images for their contributions to the Mental Ray rendering software for motion pictures.
- Eric Daniels, George Katanics, Tasso Lappas and Chris Springfield for the development of the Deep Canvas rendering software.
- Jim Songer for his contributions to the technical development of video-assist in the motion picture industry.
- Pierre Chabert of Airstar for the introduction of balloons with internal light sources to provide set lighting for the motion picture industry.
- Rawden Hayne and Robert W. Jeffs of Leelium Tubelite for their contributions to the development of internally lit balloons for motion picture lighting.