ADV Films, the #1 producer-distributor of anime in the U.S., has announced its slate of releases for Aug. 17, 2004. Titles include NURSE WITCH KOMUGI: A VACCINE FOR HUMANITY! Volume 1, EL PARAÍSO DE HELLO KITTY: KITTY LINDA and MUTANT X: SEASON 2, DISCS 5-6 as well as a new AniMini collection.
Produced by Pioneer LDC (HELLSING) and Tatsunoko (SPEED RACER), NURSE WITCH KOMUGI is a mahou shoujo (magical girl) show. The King of Viruses has escaped and is looking to spread his insidious infection. And Earth's only chance for a hero is Komugi a cosplayer. The title ($29.98) is a DVD-only release including three episodes in both English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 languages versions with English subtitles. Extras include clean opening and closing, character introductions, "How to Anime" documentary, commentary with director and cast, production sketches, Japanese TV spot and ADV previews.
EL PARAÍSO DE HELLO KITTY: KITTY LINDA (HELLO KITTY'S PARADISE: PRETTY KITTY) is the first Spanish DVD and VHS release of the popular animated children's series. Produced Sanrio, the new release follows Kitty, her best friend Mimmy and their friends from school as they take fun childhood adventures and learn important skills like sharing, having good table manners, writing letters and being polite.
The release (DVD: $14.98; VHS: $9.98) is a DVD and VHS release, containing eight episodes in Spanish 2.0 language audio. VHS and DVD extras include ADV previews and games throughout, including such diversions as "Nutty Numbers" and "Animals! Animals!" The DVD edition also includes a free poster insert.
MUTANT X: SEASON 2, DISCS 5-6 is a two-disc DVD release from the second season of the hit syndicated television series. Produced in association with Tribune Ent., Marvel Studios and Fireworks Ent., the Saturn Award-nominated MUTANT X stars John Shea as Adam, leader of a group of reluctant heroes who are unwitting victims of genetic experimentation with superhuman powers.
MUTANT X: SEASON 2, DISCS 5-6 ($19.98) is a DVD-only release in English 2.0 audio, closed captioned. Includes four complete episodes. Presented in anamorphic widescreen format. Extras include: interview with Victor Webster (Brennan Mulwray); behind the scenes with producer Jonathon Hackett; original TV promos; image gallery; behind the scenes: make-up, behind the scenes: hair and ADV previews.
In addition, ADV Films has release a second batch of the new DVD collection called AniMini on Aug. 3. AniMinis are miniature 3-inch DVDs, priced at $6.98, with each disc containing a complete episode of a series. The mini DVDs double as coupons and are redeemable for $10 off a regular full-size multi-episode DVD title of the same name when purchased through the ADV Films Website.
"Our first set of AniMinis are flying like hotcakes," said Anne Armogida, director of marketing, ADV Films. "This fresh new line of products has the fans going wild because of its unique look and affordable price."
* AZUMANGA DAIOH 2 is an acclaimed anime series that premiered in early 2002 in Japan. The show follows the day-to-day adventures of a comical group of high school girls and their equally eccentric friends and teachers.
* FULL METAL PANIC! 1 combines mecha combat, martial arts, international criminal intrigue, high-school politics and teen romance.
* HAPPY LESSON 2 is the light-hearted anime series that follows the shounen tradition of OH MY GODDESS! and LOVE HINA. HAPPY LESSON tells of Chitose, a teenager who suddenly finds himself surrounded by a bevy of beauties, but these ladies aren't vying for Chitose's romantic affection -- they all want to be his mother.
* KALEIDO STAR 2 is aimed at tweens and teens, combining playful elements of children's anime and a sense of fun and play.
* KINO'S JOURNEY is a series by director Ryutaro Nakamura, famed for his SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN. The show tells the story of the young adventurer Kino, who travels the world on Hermes, a talking motorcycle, spending no more and no less than three days at each stop. Throughout their travels, Kino and Hermes are observers of new cultures, witness to both the differences and the similarities of peoples around the world.
* NOIR 2, which premiered in Japan in 2001, was directed by Koichi Mashimo (DIRTY PAIR, DOMINION). The complex storyline is based on a relationship between a duo of female assassins who cannot trust one another, but who need each other to survive.
ADV Films is a leading producer-distributor of Japanese animation in the North American and U.K. market. Parent company, A.D. Vision, Inc., encompasses a multitude of complementary media divisions, spanning publishing, television, licensing and merchandising and continues to expand into new areas. Headquartered in Houston, the company has offices in Europe and Japan. For more information, visit www.advfilms.com.