Kroyer Hosts Acting in the Digital Age at Academy Tomorrow
Press Release from the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences
Short Films and Feature Animation Branch governor Bill Kroyer will lead an evening focused on two Oscar-winning films – “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (2008) and “Avatar” (2009) – to demonstrate how innovations in performance-capture technology, digital doubles, digital makeup, photorealism and image manipulation are affecting actors.
“Acting in the Digital Age” will feature a panel of cast and crew members from both films who will discuss the challenges and opportunities that come with these changing technologies. The program includes film clips and behind-the-scenes footage of the actors at work.
Kroyer received an Academy Award nomination for his 1988 short film “Technological Threat,” which pioneered the technique of combining hand-drawn and computer animation. He directed the animated feature film “FernGully: The Last Rainforest” (1992), was senior animation director at Rhythm & Hues Studios in Los Angeles, and is Director of Digital Arts of the Dodge College of Film and Media Arts at Chapman University.
* Peter Donald Badalamenti – Actor, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
* Richard Baneham – Animation supervisor, “Avatar” (2009 Academy Award winner, Visual Effects)
* Paul Debevec – Co-creator of Light Stage (2009 Scientific and Technical Award winner)
* Jon Landau – Producer, “Avatar” (2009 Best Picture nominee)
* Joel David Moore – Actor, “Avatar”
* CCH Pounder – Actor, “Avatar”
* Steve Preeg – Character supervisor, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (2008 Academy Award winner, Visual Effects)
* Andy Serkis – Actor, “King Kong,” “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy
* Wes Studi – Actor, “Avatar”
* Garrett Warren – Stunt coordinator, “Avatar”
General Admission – $5
Academy members and students with a valid ID – $3
Order Tickets Online
Order Tickets in Person or by Mail
Thursday, April 22, at 8 p.m.
Doors open at 7 p.m.
Samuel Goldwyn Theater
8949 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Directions, Parking & Theater Policies
All seating is unreserved.