ANIMATION WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 4.5 - AUGUST 1999
On A Desert Island With. . .
compiled by David Kilmer
This month we heard from the following computer animation artists when we posed the question, "What ten films would you want to have with you if stranded on a desert island?" Claire Armstrong is an in-house director at Cinesite Hollywood. Tim Harrington, a senior animator, and Victoria Livingstone, a CG animator, both worked on Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace at Industrial Light & Magic.
Caricature of Claire Armstrong by John Mann, senior art director at Cinesite.
Claire Armstrong's picks:
1. The Cat Concerto by Hanna-Barbera.
2. The Jungle Book (Disney).
3. Sledgehammer by Joe Johnson.
4. All three Wallace & Gromit shorts by Nick Park.
5. A Bug's Life by John Lasseter.
6. Luxo Jr. by John Lasseter.
7. What's Opera, Doc? by Chuck Jones.
8. Girl's Night Out by Joanna Quinn.
9. Red Hot Riding Hood by Tex Avery.
10. Bambi (Disney).
Victoria Livingstone's picks:
1. Looney Tunes (Warner Bros.).
2. Watership Down by Martin Rosen.
3. Nightmare Before Christmas by Henry Selick.
4. Clash of the Titans by Ray Harryhausen.
5. Deadsy by David Anderson.
6. The Rescuers (Disney).
7. Britannia by Joanna Quinn.
8. Neighbors by Norman McLaren.
9. Creature Comforts by Nick Park.
10. Fantasia (Disney).
Tim Harrington's picks:
1. Nightmare Before Christmas by Henry Selick.
2. A Bug's Life by John Lasseter.
3. Toy Story by John Lasseter.
4. Fantasia (Disney).
5. Pinocchio (Disney).
6. Peter Pan (Disney).
7. Alice in Wonderland (Disney).
8. King Size Canary by Tex Avery.
9. Book Revue by Bob Clampett.
10. Duck Amuck by Chuck Jones.
Check out the AWN Store for videos of some of these films. You can also find video sources for many of these films in The Animated Film Collector's Guide: Worldwide Sources for Cartoons on Videotape and Laserdisc (1997, John Libbey & Co.), which is also available in the AWN Store.
David Kilmer is associate editor of Animation World Magazine.
Note: Readers may contact any Animation World Magazine contributor by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
Animation World Magazine
Career Connections | School Database | Student Corner
Animation World Store | Animation Village | Calendar of Events
The AWN Gallery | The AWN Vault | Forums & Chats
About | Help | Home | email@example.com | Mail | Register
©1999 Animation World Network