Search form

At A crossroads

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
At A crossroads

I am currently enrolled in the Art Institutes of San Antonio and i have been hit with hard news; Ive been academically discontinued from the school(dropped), and I am unsure of what to think. I honestly do like the work that includes me animating and being creative, but that honestly is about it.. I really feel like some teachers mean well and their best, but none of the major info that im supposed to learn in my field and classes I care about stick with me and I feel like I am not enjoying myself there, Not to mention the work I know I have to do is not really helped by the fact I have A job that i have to put in at least 35 hours for in order to help out with my parents. I love animating and drawing and being creative, i really do, but I dont feel like I am getting what I need nor do I feel like this is worth the school Im going to... Ive seen the reviews of Ai from all over. It seems like everyone has the same experience i do, and i dont want an enormous debt in my lap. But at the same time, I dont know how sucessful id be on my own. Not to mention if i dont go to school, my parents want me out of the house as soon as i can. I have options to live with others,  but Id hate to dissapoint my family. I just honestly need some advice. I feel very lost in what i should do. Fight Continue school for a very 50/50 pass/fail rate or cut my losses and figure this out on my own..

Being academically dropped

Being academically dropped usually means that your grades are not good on the assignments, and/or the level of talent you are showing in the work isn't sufficient ( at this point) to realistically gain you employment in the industry, afer graduation.

Art schools like AI are NOT going to teach you how to draw.  They can show you procedures for animation, how to use software, etc..........but the real skill at drawing is going to come from self-development, and usually mostly on your own time.

Look, a useful skill that AI  ( or any other school for that matter) doesn't teach is how to self-evaluate your own work compared to that of professionals. This is the ability to sit there and look at your work, and at the pros', and pick out the things that you are weakest at.  Of course, once you identify those things, then it's assumed you can work towards improving and building on those weaknesses, turning them into strengths.

If things are not sticking with you, then you may also need to consider that this field is simply not for you.  Desire fuels a lot of aspiring artists, but desire isn't enough. You've got to be able to process new material, new methods and then both explore/extrapolate and express them.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Thank you for your honesty, I

Thank you for your honesty, I will definetely think about that more. I really do want to get better, It is my desire to want to do this. If it is not for me, then its not, but i am not willing to give up on it so easily. I will do everything I can to improve myself on my terms.

The Animator Letters Project

I believe you would find the answers you are looking for by reading the letters on The Animator Letters Project website. Professional animators have shared their stories about how they broke into the industry, how they overcame roadblocks, and their encouragement and advice for others looking to pursue their dream of becoming an animator. So much wisdom and inspiration is found in the letters. Please let me know what you think. :-) www.theanimatorlettersproject.com

Willie Downs, Creator and Editor, The Animator Letters Project, williedowns.co