Search form

When I see several frames at once in an animation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
When I see several frames at once in an animation

Does it means too much movement in too little frames? The Tex Avery cartoons are full of this. 

Or rather, what causes this?

Thanks,

Most likely you are seeing

Most likely you are seeing the frames that were beneath the top cel that was being photographed. The old school way of moving a hand drawn cel into film was to place the cel under the camera. Some times the last cel was not removed and the next cel is placed on top.

And if I am watching student

And if I am watching student reels that were drawn on a computer?

I don't know how to word my question. Searching google drives me crazy for this since all the results show me how to view several frames at once (not what I want to know).

Let's say I drew an animation, and when it plays, I kind of "see" the moving object 2 or 3 frames at once.

Drawing programs have a

Drawing programs have a layer feature which lets you build a digital stack of images. They can be exported so it sounds like you are watching the video as they wont you to see it. 

If that is not the answer, I have no idea what is going on.

It is called a 'smear', which

It is called a 'smear', which refers to the times cells were painted with real paint, and it was possible to smear the paint to suggest a motion blur. It is used when a motion is so fast there are not enough frames available to show all drawings needed to get a fluid motion. It is also dubbed 'multiple', which explains exactly what you already learned, i.e. multiple drawings on a single frame.