Search form

Question on Genre or Sub Genre of Classical Animation: When the Animator's hand comes into the frame

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question on Genre or Sub Genre of Classical Animation: When the Animator's hand comes into the frame

Hey All,

I have a question which I was not able to find much on in a regular google search and was hoping there are some animation nuts out there that could help.

I am looking for examples of a type of animation I remember, where the animator's hand (an animation of) comes into the frame and sometimes chases the character around. This would be a sort of example of breaking the 4th wall. Sometimes it is just a pencil that is drawn in, manipulating the landscape, or the eraser deleting things from the landscape in a sort of battle with the character. Is there a name for this style? I do not mean when the illustrator's real hand is visible in the shots of the drawings, but when a hand or pencil from the greater world above the 2D cartoon is drawn in. I can only remember examples of this vaguely, but know different cartoons employ it. I guess it might count as a sort of sub-genre.

Does anyone know the names of any old cartoons where this technique is used, any at all? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks so much

You are talking about stop

You are talking about stop-motion if there is an real object in the scene. If there is not a real object in the scene then it is old school animation. Take a look at "Bill" from that Saturday Night Live show, the early days.

Thanks for the tip,

Thanks for the tip,

I do not mean stop motion in the sense where there is an actual human's hand in the photos taken of the animation, but when the animator animates a hand or a pencil or a whole drawing table into the cartoon to interact with the caracters. I am sure I have seen this in either old WB cartoons or in Disney, but I can't seem to find any examples..