Search form

Studios

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Studios

There have been many posts about people starting studios or planning to start a studio. If someone where to start a studio, where would they list it so others can find it?

It feels like a lot of the studios are a one person crew working out of their homes. Could such a studio be listed somewhere as a viable source for work? I have also seen posts on collaborative project, with all the members working out of their own homes. Is that a studio by extension or virtual studio?

I am adding this link that I just found, this is not an endorsement of the product, to me it does look like it belongs in this subject. First link is a video about the software and how it is used and the second link is to the software sifte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISsg2tXbMc

http://www.lightsfilmspace.com/ 

I am sure there are other sources that are useful so if you know of any leave that information  here as well as any other comments.

My main question is the one about being found by others looking for studios.

Share your thoughts.

Edited by: wontobe on 04/19/2015 - 7:59am
The most sensible means of

The most sensible means of starting a studio is by doing service work--that is the overflow of work from other studios that just don't have the time/hands to do it themselves.  Service work usually goes to people that have a prior reputation with the studio, word-of-mouth that sort of thing.
Once a start-up studio hits that point of critical mass where the quantity of service work helps finance  in-house projects, then the studio has pretty much attained the objective of being self-sustaining.  The time-line for this can be anything from a few years to as long as a decade or more.
Growth of a studio depends upon the talent pool it has access to ( and can rely upon) and the kinds of services it can supply.

Just "putting out a shingle" and announcing that you have a studio.........well, I don't think that works as well as people might wish to think.  Having a work-reel might seem like a start.......but anyone can make a reel. It doesn't establish that you necessarily can do the work. I've actually seen bogus studios with faked reels.....material plagiarized from other sources not their own, to pass off the studio and get a contract ( which they assume they would then complete to jump-start getting more work).
Yeah, that happens.
The various trade magazines for the animation industry are a place to list a studio.....and there's also industry directories that one can pay to have their studio business listed.
But as far as any software goes........if someone is that new to an area, or the industry itself, it's more advisable to build connections by working with the various local studios, and thus being exposed to both them and the talent pool/peer groups therein.  

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)