Search form

Acheiving textures in traditional Animation.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Acheiving textures in traditional Animation.

Would some of you more experienced animators on here lend your opinions on how the character textures on "Le Magasin Des Suicides" were achieved? (Look it up on YouTube if you are unfamiliar with it. There are HD clips and the entire film in lower res). I really like the look of this film. In what would normally be flat areas of color in traditional animation, there is a very subtle texture, almost like watercolor paper, altough I'm sure the animation was done on computer. I'm sure the look can be achieved fairly easily in Photoshop, but how would you best go about it?

A little background, I am a 30 year professional artist and filmmaker, and most recently was contracted to do a series of animated commercials. I've been a life-long animation fan, and have done a few short pieces for myself over the years , but this is my first paying animation job.

I currently work mostly in Adobe software, doing my linework and character animations in Flash, and my backgrounds in Photoshop (or sometimes hand-painting them in watercolor then scanning them), and finally taking everything into After Effects for lighting effects, color grading and other SFX.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

MC

Edited by: Matt Crunk on 04/07/2015 - 11:30pm
In my opinion, they just

In my opinion, they just spent more time working on the background. Created a set of burshes that produce the effects that you are seeing.