Search form

Qustions

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Qustions

hi so i want to go to school for a degree in animation . the only problom is i cant draw to save my life but am willing to do all it takes to learn. (what i want is a carrer in 3d animation) is it a waste of time thou to follow this dream if i cant draw yet or can i learn as i go in collage ? like i said im willing to put for the time and work it takes! my other qustion would be where is the best place to start? 

Where to start?

Where to start?

Try drawing.

Look, there are voices that say drawing isn't necessary, but I'm convinced it remains a undeniable asset.
You increase your opportunites if you have drawing talent.
Yeah, you can get jobs in the field without being able to draw, but what do you do if the jobs you want do involve drawing, or are at places where drawing ability is emphasized??
Not having that talent WILL limit your options.

Now, you find yourself at the first of many cross-roads.  Understand that the journey is fraught with frustration and intimidation......almost all of it will come from yourself.
You'll convince yourself to quit long before anyone else ever tells you to quit or give up your dream.

Yeah, sure......it's easy to rally the gumption to say you are going to do this, and that you'll stick to it.  Understand that starting this kind of thing cold is a outright vertical climb. You will encounter challenges on the very first day of trying this.  You will have regrets immediately. You will face questions about EVERYTHING right away, and very few answers to help you make any progress.  It's like attempting to learn how to walk, without having any legs and people yelling at you that you have to learn how to BUILD legs first.

If the above makes you doubt, makes you question the journey.......then sorry.......you are not meant for it. Do something else.

On the other hand......if you just ignore all that as a reflex, and simply do not care about all the intimidation.......they set about a plan of attack for what you want to do. 
Use your brain, your senses and all the material around you.
Pick a direction and head off that way.
There is no right or wrong here, only discoveries.......certainly at the outset. You WILL backtrack, you will learn that some things are not where you want to go, so do not be afraid of ""losing ground" trying something.

Get some really basic books on drawing,  but be discriminating. Don't just pick up something on a whim. Look for a book with a style and method that appeals to you.
Drawing, at its core, is problem-solving. Look for instruction that fits with how you go about solving such problems.  
That way the material is USABLE for you.  You'll get loads of suggestions for different books...........consider them, then evaluate them based on YOUR needs and aims.
Since you are a complete novice, you need to get clear as soon as you can, as to what you gravitate to.  Look at the stuff you consume and enjoy as a benchmark.
Go from there.
Draw with whatever tool you like--pencil, or tablet.  Get that tool moving, use it.  
Here's a yardstick: if you find yourself really getting into it, even if what you are creating is utter shit.......then you are "doing it right".  Competency comes later.  Muscle memory builds first, fuelled by passion.

The first, and most valuable skill you will ever learn, that will serve you for the rest of your life is the ability to look at what YOU draw, and then compare it to the other work of professionals that you admire.....and to pick up the things that they are doing that you are not.
The variety of thick or thinness in a line, the use of shapes to convey volumes, the stance of a figure, the staging of a setting in perspective...... one by one you'll pick up by osmosis all these things and more.

As long as you draw.  The saying is that there's 10,000 BAD drawings in all of us.  You do more of them at the start, but not all of them at the start.  Along the way, some of them, simply because of the law of averages, end up looking not-bad-at-all to pretty good.

Get with it, and don't give up.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Come back here once a month

Come back here once a month to show us your work. We would all like to follow your progress, watch others progress in art is fun.