Search form

Help me, for I'm ignorant.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help me, for I'm ignorant.

Hello all, Im a young man interested in a career in the animation industry.  I've got a few questions though, as I only recently decided this is something I'd like to pursue. A little bit about my current abilities and credentials: high school grad. Avid writer. I've wrote a couple spec scripts for some cartoons I'm a fan of. I'm not too talented in the drawing department though. I'm skilled enough for the viewer to be able to tell what it is that they're looking at, but it won't be all that pretty.   Any legitimate answer will be appreciated, especially from those that have worked in the industry. 

Are there positions available in 2-D tv shows/feature films for someone who isn't necessarily good at drawing? How much are computers used in the production of what is seen on screen?

How polished does a storyboard artist's drawings have to be? Does the storyboard artist simply draw the scenes described in a script, or does he get to add his own ideas? He is the one who decides the characters, objects, backgrounds placement within the scene, correct? 

What areas of the industry would a degree in computer animation qualify one to work in? Tv? Film? Video games, etc?

What types of things should one include in their portfolio when applying to a school as computer animation major?

Do employers look more at the quality of ones work, or the reputation of the school he or she came from? 

My passion is writing, creating characters and their personalities, as well as the direction of their story. But I'd also like to have a hand in production. Are their positions within the industry where the holder is able to make story decisions as well as create what is seen and heard on screen? Or are people usually confined to one or the

Hi, TooTall!  I'm a student

Hi, TooTall!  I'm a student myself, but I think I can actually answer some of this (you can take what I say with a grain of salt though, knowing I haven't worked in a studio setting yet.)  The quick advice I have for you right off the bat:  draw and animate when you can, and do some research!

Storyboarding is pretty focused on drawing skills, but I'm not sure what to tell you as far as how "polished" boards need to be.  I think what would probably be helpful for you is to check out professional storyboards to get a real solid idea of what the standards are and what you'd be aspiring to if that truly is the direction you want to go as a career.  For television boards, I know Adventure Time and Steven Universe have been sharing full storyboards for episodes online.  http://kingofooo.tumblr.com/  http://stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/  You can probably find more if you dig around, but those are two that I've been following.  I think you might also find Karen J. Lloyd's blog useful - http://karenjlloyd.com/blog/  She has some posts about what storyboarding is, what's expected of you, what you need to work on to achieve your goals, etc.  I know that in some tv shows now, and especially web-based content, the line between storyboard artist and writer are getting pretty blurred, so that may be something that you're really into.  But you're definitely going to need to work on your drawing if that's the direction you want to go.

"How much are computers used in the production of what is seen on screen?"  That's super tough to answer because it really depends!  You may find that you really like working with 3D characters or Flash rigs or something which is really computer focused and doesn't rely so much on traditional drawing skills.

It sounds like you're still trying to figure out the direction you want to go, and that's fine!  But if you really dig in and try to find as many resources as you can so you have a better idea of what to expect and what you're really driven to I think it's going to help you in the long run.

"What areas of the industry would a degree in computer animation qualify one to work in? Tv? Film? Video games, etc?"  As far as I know all of the above, sort of.  The degree itself isn't much of a qualification in itself, but it doesn't hurt!  Your portfolio/reel is what's going to get you jobs, though.  (Networking also helps--if you go to a school that recruiters visit and where professors are active in the industry that can give you a leg up.)  A lot of computer animation skills are applicable in a number of fields, though you may be more suited for some than others.