Search form

3D Animation--Is it possible for me?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
3D Animation--Is it possible for me?

Hello everyone!

I am a junior in high school and I've always wondered if I have what it takes to be a 3D animator.  I have the passion for film (especially 3D films, of course) to the point where I will cry when I see something gorgeous in the previews at a movie theater.  My absolute perfect profession would be to work as a 3D Animator at Disney or Pixar or Dreamworks.

However, the field is so foreign to me and I am not sure how successful I would be if I pursued it.  For example, art?  Math?  I'm decent at traditional art, and I think with a little practice/classes I could definately draw/paint well.  My biggest hurdle is that my sister is fantastic at traditional art and she is studying it currently - I feel inferior to her regarding art...  And for the math part: does 3D animation use it?  Like computer programming does?  I'm in honors and AP classes at my school, but math is not my best or favorite subject.

So I guess I am simply asking what it takes and if it is in my realm of possibility to pursue it.  What do I study in college?  What could I be doing now?

Thanks in advance.

-Verbena

Verbena "I am not sure how

Verbena "I am not sure how successful I would be if I pursued it"

No one knows how successful they will be in their pursued so you should not let that be apart of your thinking.

Verbena " little practice/classes I could definately draw/paint well"

From all the post I have read here if you wont to be in the business of animation, the word "little" is never used in connection to the job. You will need to spend hours almost every day honing your craft. Should your skills get you in the door you can expect the work load to increarse

Verbena "And for the math part: does 3D animation use it?"

The math in working with 3D is minor if you use it at all. You will learn what you need as you study so don't sweat it.

Verbena "what it takes and if it is in my realm of possibility to pursue it.  What do I study in college?  What could I be doing now?

Draw, study drawing then draw some more. If you do go to a college that has a degree program in animation, they will map out your courses for you.

Of course, 3D animation is

Of course, 3D animation is available to everyone! You can start by learning the basic principles and tools in software environments. There are many online resources, video tutorials and communities where you can learn in-depth techniques for creating 3D animation servreality.com. With constant hands-on experience and creativity, you will be able to create stunning animation works. It's important to just get started and not be afraid to experiment!