Search form

I want to do animation but have no idea if I'm suited for it

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to do animation but have no idea if I'm suited for it

Hello everyone. I'm 16 and new here. I came across this forum while looking for info. on animation and all. I'm in the second year of high school and I really should choose a career. I'm really into art. I've always loved drawing, my mother says that I've been drawing since I was 2 years old.
Until two years ago I drew from love and passion. I learned from books, internet and TV. I would draw characters from my favourite cartoons. Gradually I became better. Two years ago I entered a high school where there were advanced art classes that prepared you for A levels (some exams related to UK). This year I'm doing my AS level. My area of expertise is traditional art: Painting, drawing, recently I've started sculpting as a hobby.
For a few years now I've been hooked up on anime and drawn in that style. But lately I thought that I'm too focused on one point and closed off myself in a frame. So I'm struggling to get out of it. I'm discovering and trying other styles and trying to expand my knowledge.
So here is my question about animation. I decided (for now) to pursuit a career in animation. Now I know there are a lot of sub-junctions under the title "animation" like VFX artist, storyboard artist, 2D animator, 3D animator etc etc..
I'm into drawing so I'd probably go for 2D&3D but that's not my main concern. I'm not sure if I'm (at all) suited for animation. I have no experience in digital art, I only recently started drawing using SAI and Photoshop. I have no knowledge of the technical stuff.. I'm not even familiar with it.
I've read some threads and people say that it's a demanding job and very hard. I'm OK with hard work. If the work is demanding then I'll put my all into what I'm doing. But I'm just really afraid that I'm not cut off for it. I decided on animation as a career after thinking about it for some time. I really loved cartoons and games and all since I was a baby. So I thought I'd contribute to something I love. Plus animation appeared as the most interesting option out of all the others...but am I wrong to think like that?
What are the qualities of a good animator? Are there any specific traits I need to have? How can I know that I'm suited for this job? I don't want to finish with a diploma go to some studio and just be a nuisance to the others. I really need some help. So please if anyone have any suggestions or advice, I'd be glad to learn.

OK. Thank you for your kind advice. I will slowly but surely work my way to where I want to be then. I guess you can say that I am patient since I can stick with one project for a month or two until it's complete and perfect in my eyes. I am learning how to paint with pastels and acrylic at the moment. Is that an asset? I can't YET animate... I'm reading about the basic things, the principles and all... Also hopefully I'll actually get the chance in the nearest future to actually animate something simple.
As for perspective and humans. I'm good with them. I can relate depth and perspective well enough with shadowing and colors. I can build up a human, not perfectly but I'm working on that anyway. I lack in buildings, but, this summer I plan on going around the town and sketching some of the nice architectural works like mosques and chapels and some modern buildings.
Well thank you anyways. I'll do my best. Hopefully I'll wind up somewhere nice in the end. :D

If you like doing animation,then you are suitable for it!

The one thing that all animators need is patience because you will be drawing frame by frame over and over again. If you are not patient your animations will look choppy

-A ninja animator

How do you know if you are suited for this job??

Its not very hard to figure out.

If your goal is to draw professionally--be it 2D or 3D animation--then how close is your work right now, to the professional stuff you see and consume?

That's the gauge, and you need to ask yourself honestly as to whether or not you are near a professional level.
Not that you can kinda/sorta do ONE drawing that kinda/sorta looks like a drawing you've copied......but rather drawings you can do off-the-cuff that look professional, that you can extrapolate poses and expression on cue, and that work on-model with established characters.

If you can do that, you are suited for it.

If you can compose a picture, draw stuff in perspective, draw the human form naturally, draw objects that look solid.......and, oh heck, if you can paint, design cool stuff ( vehicles, buildings, costumes etc), and ANIMATE......then, yeah, you can make a career of it.

The more skilled you are, the more, options, longevity and depth your career will have.
All the other stuff are considerations, but really, the ONLY cachet of value is skill.
If you are a long ways off, then work on your weaknesses and polish the stuff that you enjoy.

Yes, it is demanding and hard work and all that, and there's a lot of BS out there that fills people's heads about the craft.
The trick is to figure out for yourself what direction you want to go in and charge head-long that way.

Good drawing skills will never put you at a disadvantage, and by "good drawings skills" I do mean traditional drawing, not just drawing anime.
My strong suggestion is to develop some range in your visual vocabulary--the different kinds of things you can draw. Learning and becoming at least competent in perspective drawing never hurt anyone--and perspective terrifies a lot of newcomers.

At the young age of 16.....you've got some years ahead to develop, as both a person and an artist. There's bound to be a lot of voices that will tell you what you "must" do.......but you know what?

Don't listen to them. Not yet anyways.

Have some fun, draw what you like and don't feel a need to obsess about perfection in a drawing. Just yet.
Go at a pace that you like, that feels like its growth and is rewarding. You'll know you are doing it right if you find you keep doing it.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)