Search form

Career guidance for a young teen :)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Career guidance for a young teen :)

Hello everyone!
im really excited about joining this thread!
okay so i have loads and loads of questions to ask!
I am 16 years old, currently in india, i want to become an animator
although im not completely sure of what an animator does.
I LOVE to draw, to sketch and paint. I am literally addicted to all the japanese
anime ( i have watched over 60 cartoons, for real), and i would any day chose anime/cartoons/animated films over movies.
I love the creative field, and i understand it requires a lot of hard work, and it can be stressful at times, but do you think animation would be a good career option?
I study well, i speak a couple of foreign languages(french, italian, and a few indian languages...i dont know how thats supposed to help) and i like to draw, and im pretty good at it. Do you think im on the right track?? what do you think i should start doing now???

guidance

I'll start off by saying I know next to nothing about animation. I'm very creative, yet not artistic at all so I don't neccessarily have any advice when it comes to animation, however from what I can tell animation isn't much different from any other career field. Animation is a broad topic, what kind of animations do you want to publish? (Comic strips/books, 3D animation, animated videos using 2D programs? From your post I'd assume you want to use 2D animated videos with an "anime" type theme, however there are a lot of animes but the demographic that animes are focused on isn't very large. Personally from what I've seen of anime they all appear to be the same, but if you were to be able to create something completely original I think it could be a success above the others (once again I'm just an amateur, but I do have business experience) after you figure out what you want to do with your skills, think of how you want to apply them. Do you plan on turning your own cartoons into a profit? Or do you just want to be recognized as a great animator and then get recruited to work on in an already established studio? Either way you still have to think about how you're going to get your videos viewed. How are you going to market your animations? I personally think you're on the right track, you have a skill and you came to a forum of like-minded individuals who can help you. Just do more research, find out why you want to animate, find out how you want to animate, and be ready for a lot of work. Don't let the amount of work intimidate you though.

guidance

thankyou and yes i will think it over, and i have another problem.
DO you think its alright if i get into an architecture course first and then do animation (my parents want me to do architecture) ? and by the way, i dont think my country has good ungdergraduate programs for animation...

hmmm

I'm not sure if taking architecture will be good for animating but, it won't be bad for you, any time you learn something new it betters yourself. As for the undergraduate program I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, that's something for one of the experts to answer

welcome to the forms! :) I have the same amount of passion of animation that you have. Animation is not as hard as you think it just requires you to create a frame then change that frame a bit then repeat.

-A ninja animator