Search form

Wacom Cintiq 21UX

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wacom Cintiq 21UX

been a while since i wrote a thread on ere..

iv become such a huge fan of Wacom Cintiq 21UX..i saw this huge touch-screen tablet used in a southpark behind the scenes video for making storyboards..and i just think if i had this product .it would make my drawings vry professional.....

has anyone used this product before and are still using it now for their animation work or for drawing?....

how has it benifited ur work from using it that drawing with paper and pencil and a mouse..??

echi's picture
Message By Echi Echi :D :) :) :cool: Visit My new album website My Gallery of My Characters, My Toons, My Life

Message By Echi Echi :D :) :) :cool:

Visit My new album website

My Gallery of My Characters, My Toons, My Life

We use them at work for our Flash animation. It's helpful because we can go from storyboards directly to screen-ready material. However, since we don't do symbol-based animation or tweening a lot I still hand-animate the more complicated scenes on paper, load the ruff tests into Flash and basically clean them up there.
The reason why I sometimes use a Cintiq to finish some illustrations is because it's fast and clean - no messing around with ink or ruining paper from erasing pencil lines over and over. However, I always start on paper because there's still a mechanic quality and even a bit of randomness to the way Cintiqs work. I had to get used to using them and personally I don't have as much control over my line work as I have when I use a pencil and paper.

Bottom line: the Cintiq is a useful tool that takes care of some digital stages of animation more quickly and efficiently than other media. It is not, however, a gimmicky gadget that will make your artwork go from good to great. Quite the opposite. My advice is to NOT waste over two thousand dollars on one if you don't have to regularly perform tasks requiring digital drawing. If I had the money to buy one for myself I probably would. Since I can't make it pay for itself with the stuff that I create for myself, though, it would be nonsensical for me to invest that kind of money.

They sell a smaller one for under one thousand, you should look at that too.

I'd love to get my hands on one of these, but for the time being my small bamboo tablet is all I need. All of my sketches and initial linework is done with a pencil and paper anyway and then scanned into a computer :)

What it would be useful for is concept art. Most people seem to have no trouble coming up with spectacular stuff with just an intuos though.

What it would be useful for is concept art. Most people seem to have no trouble coming up with spectacular stuff with just an intuos though.

... and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a lot to do with the Intuos, either. (I use a Graphire, by the way.)

... and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a lot to do with the Intuos, either. (I use a Graphire, by the way.)

Well no. Obviously, you need to be able to draw. ;)

You would be better off spending the $2000 bucks on drawing classes. Like Jaber said, it won't turn you into a better artist. It's simply a tool. If your art doesn't look good with the paper and pencil tool, it won't look any better with this tool.

I've used the Cintiq on several projects in Flash. I works great for drawing, but is not as handy when animating with symbols.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I'm using some terrible russian thing that looks like it escaped from the 80's

They do take some getting used to though, it feels a bit like painting with a sausage on glass sometimes.

websiteEzromation blog/doodlesDeranged Scratchings